Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

One head study at a time!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
RachidJ greentooth
Trying to build my momentum, the plan is to make a head study a day, eventually upgrade to a bust and so on. I will be working on my new character on top of that as well. Feedback is welcomed.

Replies

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Here is my 1st study! (Christopher Lloyd), granted is not as close to his likeness as I would like it to be, but it will get there eventually :D 
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth

Had a hard time with this face, behind on the faces atm, but I will be trying to make it up over the weekend to catch up! :D (Ted Cassidy)

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Alright week 2, missed a bunch of days for week 1, but I'll try my best that it doesn't repeat on this week here are Monday's and Tuesday's head studies 
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    That last one really came out far, loved it!
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @Olingova thank you so much for the words of encouragement, I will continue to push myself  to get better :smile:
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Something came up during the weekend so I was not able to take my head studies to the texturing stage, but I was not about to go to sleep knowing that I've only done 3 head studies for the week so pushed myself and lost some sleep to get this one out from my imagination to see what I was capable off without reference, granted a lot of mistakes still but I'll continue to fail forward to gain success! :D constructive crits are welcomed! Also, the 1st image is of a Jack Nicholson study I did earlier in the week 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Is it just me or you are using same base mesh and just moving things around which cause them to look to a like .Why don't you start from scratch or at least use blank head base .It take only 5 min to block a basic head and it a good way to warm up before study + you will have a chance to be more specific with original head shape ++ if you want to get faster you wont find better exercise

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @carvuliero I am starting from scratch every single sculpt, I do not use a base mesh I strat from a sphere, the reason why they may look the same is that I follow the same steps and brushes to create the shapes that make up the head. The goal is that as I get more practice I will be able to identify the stuff that I am doing wrong and update them. Thank you for the suggestion and taking your time to show me your exercise, I will try it out on my next sculpt :D 
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Today's exercises, still having problems with the eyes and mouth area, but I am not letting me that stop me and I will continue to improve and update my process to accommodate for a better result. (Arnold Schwarzenegger) like always any tips that can help me will be greatly appreciated! 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long did you spend on one of those heads ?
    Whats your goal here ?
    Why don't you post reference too [I am pretty sure Arnold have rectangle face and you have giving him a round one ]
    Ok my guess here is that you sculpt 90% what you know and only 5-10 what reference is that's why they end up looking similar so you either have to know more or have to interact more with the reference material
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @carvuliero Thank you for asking :smile: .I am spending 4 hours on each sculpt. My goals is to develop a solid process to sculpt a head, have a clear understanding of the landmarks and structure of the head, be able to block in primary and secondary detail in a timely manner, achieve a likeness that does not go into the uncanny valley, apply what I've learned and developed my personal way of stylization, and finally expand this process to the body. I do not post my reference because I'm just taking a screenshot of the face on ZBrush posting it right away without taking time to create a proper presentation. Arnold may have a rectangle face and I may be giving him a circular, this could be due to me getting lost in other structural parts of the face giving it such a look, once I find out where I'm going wrong you will see the difference in my sculpts, this might take a bit since I'll have to factor in the time to find the correct tutorials or resources and the time to put into practice these what I have learned to internalise it and incorporate it into my workflow. Your guess of me sculpting 90% of what I know could be right because I don't know much and thus the faces are not coming out as they should. I am paying attention to the reference, I am not sculpting by memory is just I don't have sufficient knowledge to translate what I'm seeing in a 2D medium into a 3D. I will continue to do these exercises and incrementally improve thru obvious failures and small wins here and there. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you use zbrush angle of view by default 50 ? If you do I suggest lower it down to 30 or turn off prospective till you have something that look like a human [doing initial proportion measurements with prospective on wont lead to anything good]
    Also I suggest to take 10-20 min and analyze you reference before starting to sculpt them [comparing reference to something like Loomis/Bammes ideal head proportion ] What I mean by that is represent in second image on the left is basic frontal shape of his face/head and on the right is few helpful proportion/relations like height to width [longest lines in most ppl is 3:2 Arnold fit that general proportion] brow to chin middle is bottom of the nose and so on ,enough to be able to block a basic likeness of him and map the feature in their correct places.Now you just have to do the same for side view [I suggest you use side view as your main its more reliable for measurements ]
    Also a general note you might want tot make yourself a study plan break the head and neck in to chunks and start learning that one by one
    A

it
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @carvuliero thank you so much for the information, I've been missing in action for a few days because of some problems, but I hope by tomorrow I can pick up where I left off and apply your advice to my sculpts. Again thank you so much for investing your time with such an in-depth explanation. I hope I can pay it right back with future results of my work! :smile:
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Taking a different approach to the studies now, instead of doing a head a day I will spend more time on each, will be doing a 2h sculpt of the head to warm up and then reset and start over again. When I run into any problems I will start over from scratch, take make a few studies of that area and apply, then rinse and repeat. That way I get more mileage in one sitting. Still, early stages but here is what I got.