Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Anatomy LF Critique

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
bkost interpolator
Most Recent WIP

Hi all, I'm tackling this female anatomy study and would like some input. I'm struggling to push the large forms, I notice there are things off but can't put
my finger on how to fix them. I feel I've plateaued. I wish to make this as anatomically correct and realistic as possible.

I'm working with mutliple polygroup objects which help me adjust individual areas, please dismiss the unsmoothed mesh. Cheers

-reference board

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    How long did it take you to reach this point ?
    Don't know if you notice but she have more legs then torso and her upper part looks a bit compress , if you want to keep this relation just drop butt a bit [Bammes have such proportional charts if you want something to guide you or you can check fashion proportion] If not just have to balance torso and legs by elongating the torso [green line is mid point so dot has to go down to the line if you want balanced body ]

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @carvuliero it took around 3-4 days, maybe 12hrs total. I appreciate the critique, I'll check out the proportion guide by Bammes!
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Anatomy Update, looking for some critiques on the face. Any feedback is appreciated
    Cheers

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is she suppose to be asian ? if not you should give face more depth by pushing eye cheeks mouth corner  + different eye shape
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey @carvuliero I appreciate the wonderful feedback! I'm in the works of finishing up her clothing/armor and about to swing back around to her anatomy. *and yes I'm going for an asian female face. (:

Thank you for pointing out all these adjustments that I need to keep in mind. I'll post up some updates sometime in the next fews days. Meanwhile here's a little teaser of my texturing work  
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Update on face... still struggling with nailing a natural head shape. The eye orbital and the fat sitting on top of it is giving me trouble. 

Progress and Reference below. Not going for extreme likeness just trying to have similar shapes

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check skull below , brow zygomatic bone and chin a pretty much on the same line which make front of the face look flat , also check your reference see how everything below the eye to the mouth is pretty much drop down flat plane
    Front view is missing some of the skull and some of the jaw volume [check green dash area below ] . Lateral corner of the eyes is not deep enough and over all eye lack curvature .Feature on your sculpt have different relations but that's up to you if you want to match reference better .Let me know if eye paintover is understandable

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Thank you @carvuliero for the write up.. again! I appreciate it a lot. Here's what I've currently got. I need to take a break from the face, I've been staring at it for too long. Now time to do the body anatomy touch ups with the info you kindly wrote

edit: a little more done 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could reduce her jaw width and give her a bit more define chin[even wider chin like your reference ] + lower the eyes slightly , she look more feminine like that in my opinion
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey @carvuliero heres the quick adjustments. Thank you kindly! She had quite a baby face before. I appreciate all the details you point out, it has been helping me tremendously

also did a quick skull study to work on something fresh. I want to try and continue doing quicker studies. I don't have to invest so much time in them and should help sharpen my skills

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick studies are great to learn also to self test if you cant do it in a short amount of time then there is something missing in your knowledge
    What you have looks pretty good , there is one thing that is problematic tho  widest point on the face is where small pink cycle is[slightly in front of the ear hole ] , base on this images it looks like you have placed it where green cycle is . In my experience[several skulls I have not sure if is universal ] middle of the eye socket is at the same level as outer limit of the teeth
    I suggest to find top and bottom view of a skull and learn that as well as in my opinion is very important [shape of the cranium and curvature of the jaw why not teeth curvature as well  ]

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Thank you for the bony landmark tips @carvuliero I plan to stay on track with Scott Eaton's Facial Anatomy course. The exercises and gallery abominate are great.

I've continued on to the retopo and texturing of the face. This is all textured in Substance Painter.

Not totally happy with the skin texture itself. I need to make her look worn down and dirty, as if you are seeing her come home from a Feudal Era Japan battle. I think I also need to darken the overall skin tone and give her a tan. Let me know what you think. Cheers

edit: dirtied up

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Getting a lot more color in the face will help it look more realistic and interesting. I just did an older tutorial video from digital tutorials called painting skin tones in photoshop or something like that. Found it pretty useful. I think there is probably a lot of videos like this, and probably some better ones on gumroad or maybe artstation. But it was really useful to actually do it in photoshop, set up a pallette of colors, so you get an idea of just what a wide range of colors are really at play on human skin. 

So, TL:DR, get more colors in there. Greens, browns, blues, reds, yellows. Make sure they are going to places that makes sense -- more blood flow, less blood flow, thicker skin, thinner skin, etc.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Thank you @BIGTIMEMASTER for the critique, I stumbled upon this Skin Painting Theory video that has some healthy information on the regions of the face. I plan to give her face some more depth after I finish up her hair cards. I'm nearly complete, just a few touch ups in marmoset. 

Edited Skin:

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    A couple more shots 
    and Thank you @carvuliero for taking the time to critique my work, your guidance has helped tremendously

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its not too late for few more suggestions :
    -soften curves on cheeks and brow in 3/4 view
    -give more shape and depth to the ear
    -her frontal eminence is kind of missing [paint over show where to indicate it and how skull should slope in this area, frontal eminence is like a round corner  ]

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @carvuliero
    Thanks man! Your help is indispensable and I appreciate how much time you take do paintovers and help out the community. I'm going to call this model done. On to the next! 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad its helpful and thank you for kind words
    I have one last completely optional suggestion -> you could scale her head a bit just for visual balance