Home Technical Talk

3DS Max: UV Unwrap: Slide Vertex along Edge.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Is there a hidden tool or script somewhere that can do this?  Again, inside UV Unwrap.  Not Polygon modeling.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Nope. Each UV vertex is tied directly to its model vertex.

There are the Preserve UVs options in Editable Poly. There's also the Tweak in View tool in UVW Unwrap.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn.

I'll look at Tweak in View tool, But I'm purposely trying to skew the UV but keep the island edge of the vertex the same, so the preserve UV isn't what I'm after.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hmm, you can't skew UVs without moving them in UV space. 

One other way you might be able to do it is to use a distortion texture, for example Bercon Mapping. Or whatever the analogue is in your game engine.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    What you're basically after is an edge constraint in uv space right?

From my (admittedly vague) memory of uv manipulation in maxscript it should be simple enough to work out what direction to move the vert in but i suspect the UI part will be a bit of a ballache. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Oh. I misunderstood.

If it's just 1 uv vertex you want to slide, I would simply use the move tool.

If the island edge is vertical or horizontal, you could use the move tool drop-down to constrain it to one axis...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    having given it a bit more thought.   On the occasions I've wanted to do this, I've done it backwards.  

ie. move the geometry vertex with preserve UVs turned on.  then moved it back with preserve UVs turned off. 
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. I misunderstood.

If it's just 1 uv vertex you want to slide, I would simply use the move tool.

If the island edge is vertical or horizontal, you could use the move tool drop-down to constrain it to one axis...

In a perfect world. :(  (Rounded island edge so everythings angled).

Poopipe, that will effect vertices on both sides of the island (just want one side).  I could break the edge and reattach after moving, but man, that sounds incredibly tedious.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point..  Like I say, it should be scriptable.  It's probably just a bit of a ballache.