Home Adobe Substance

Issues with baking normals, from Modo to substance painter

triangle
Offline / Send Message
KJKallio triangle
Been learning Modo for the past 3 weeks, my first 3D software, now im getting into baking from highpoly to lowpoly from Modo to Substance Painter. So far all good but upon baking the maps in in SP, it creates these terrible seams all around, even on the slightest of angles. The only workaround this ive found that works, is to separate each face in their own UV islands, but takes a lot of work and there has to be a better way. If i use atlas projection no matter what i do it looks like crap, separate islands or not. Ive tried giving lots of extra room for each island, adjusting the "bake UV border size" in preferences, nothing works, even google produced nothing that helped me and im at the end of my rope here, any tips are greatly appreciated

I intend to fill the remaining space in the UV map with 2 more longswords, or should i make it all separate?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's nothing obviously wrong with your meshes or UV layout in those images.

The artefacts are almost certainly caused by busted normals and/or busted UVs 

some things to try...

Are any of your UVs mirrored or overlapping?   move the mirrored/overlapped bits outside 0-1 space
    Using .obj ?   Stop it  and use .fbx (obj is shit)
    Export the low res mesh from painter and look at it in modo to see if it's gotten broken
    Try baking with average normals enabled - if you are alerady doing this, something is broken
    I've no idea if modo has the equivalent of Max's Turn To Poly modifier but try to reinitialise the meshes and set up their hard/soft edges again. 

• KJKallio
    Offline / Send Message
    KJKallio triangle
    Thanks for the reply, truly appreciated, i got in contact with someone and he told me it was because i had no smoothing groups in my low poly models, and that caused the issue, so its solved!