Home Technical Talk

How much POV you setup when sculpting in Zbrush?

Boklin
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boklin null
I cant seems to grasp this POV in zbrush. 
Could someone  tell me, how much should i set up POV settings, when sculpting realistic characters and portraits?
Also i read the in Zbrush camera settings are kinda weird, so how do i check up in Maya, if my sculpt is correctly sculpted? 
What Maya POV settings should i make? I read 50mm is ideal or not?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Just get it to look  similar to however you are going to render it. 

I usually use 28 degree field of view. But if I decide I may render with a larger FOV, I may go up to 45. It won't cause issues with your sculpting. The difference is negligible. 

Just make sure you aren't sculpting with perspective disabled. You can use orthographic views to check proportions, but I wouldn't recommend sculpting in them.

• Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    When perspective was first introduced I remember having issues with it occasionally screwing up symmetry, and swore off using it to sculpt. Was that fixed or was I hallucinating about it breaking symmetry?
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    hallucination most likely. 

It is easy to break symmetry in zbrush when using the transpose gizmo. For this reason, I customize the UI and put the symmetry button front and center on the top bar, so I can always see when I got it on or off. 

• marenin
    Offline / Send Message
    marenin polycounter lvl 8
    Some time ago i sculpted a face and 3d printed it about 5-6 cm height.
    Surprisingly compare 3d printed version with model in zbrush on monitor i found the most similarity ~90 degree field of view.
  • Boklin
    Offline / Send Message
    Boklin null
    Just get it to look  similar to however you are going to render it. 

I usually use 28 degree field of view. But if I decide I may render with a larger FOV, I may go up to 45. It won't cause issues with your sculpting. The difference is negligible. 

Just make sure you aren't sculpting with perspective disabled. You can use orthographic views to check proportions, but I wouldn't recommend sculpting in them.

I forgot to mention, about the FOV in Zbrush, how much should i set it up, when lets say, the model is about to be seen on movie or in cinematic? You that they close the camera pretty close to the model, even closer. So how much should  my FOV be, for realistic sculpts and closer screen camera?
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea. My main point though was that I don't think it's very important for sculpting. Just be sure that you are checking out your work in whatever game engine or render application you will make the final presentation in early and often.