Home Technical Talk

[3DS MAX+Any]Mechanical Rigging Question

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LandeTLS polycounter lvl 4
Helloo guys. Im trying to rig this thing i made in 3dsmax:
capture
its the fuel flex valve from a rocket engine. I have hidden the top and bottom metal flex tubes to make the problem parts(the 6 hinges+center joint) easier to see.
Here is what i have so far:
RigTestB_new

The valve is a part of a larger rig with a gimbal bearing in the center and eventually another flex valve on the other side. This is why the valve looks like its rotating a bit off center in the animation clip, since the bottom “platform” of the valve rig is childed to the main gimbal rig.
full

As you can see in the clip the rig is currently sortof working, except for that the hinges are rotating out of their mounts.
Im using separate ik chains for each of the hinges and the center “platform” is rigged with a rotation+position constraint to both the top and bottom “platforms”.
The issue currently is that from what i can gather from the reference the only part of the hinges that can rotate is the center joint(which iwe modeled to allow for a ball joint rotation up to 20 degrees). but the base of the hinges are currently rotating out of their mounts.

Edit:

More visual explanation of the current rig.

Edit 2:

More notes

My thinking i have to somehow make the center “platform” rotate correctly to face the both the bottom and lower hinge centers by rotating off axis. I have no idea how to make it do that tho.

any ideas?

Edit 3(Unrigged scene!, just the valve):

Btw, if anyone knows something but its related to maya/blender/modo etc. It will still be very helpful since i have some experience with those three and others.