Home Career & Education

Architecture/Interior Design online resources/courses for Environment Artist in games?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
chyslns polycounter lvl 8
I graduated college almost 10 years ago with a Industrial Design degree and I've been working as an Prop/Environment Artist in a couple of game studios for 9 years now. As I progress in my career I'm finding that Architecture and Interior Design play a bigger role with every project I start working on. So, while I'm keeping up doing research and studying on my own (GDC talks, Learned Squared, Amazon books), I feel like all the information I'm getting is all over the place and working with a more structured plan would be a better way for me to handle, retain, and make better use of said information at my job.

I have no problem in continuing to learn the way I've been doing it (I'm all for independent focused learning), but the company I work for has a program in which they partially reimburse the cost of any formal education I take as long as it gives some sort of certificate at the end of it proving I passed the course, and I think this is a good opportunity to get some formal education on topics such as Architecture Design, Interior Design, Plans and Layouts, Structures/Materials. I don't think the engineering side of it is that crucial since I'm working in games and not buildings in the real world, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know of good schools, books, courses, etc. for these subjects? Even the free ones work since taking advantage of the reimbursement thing is secondary to me. In the end I'd like to be more "fluent" in these topics so I come up with better founded solutions as an Environment Artist.

Thanks! 

Replies

• Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleyera polycounter lvl 5
    Interior Designer, Architecture Graduate and Project Manager here! 

Books: 
    - A Visual Dictionary of Architecture by Francis D.K Ching 
    - Architectural Graphics by Francis D.K Ching 
    - Interior Design Illustrated Francis D.K Ching 
    - A Global History of Architecture Francis D.K Ching 
    (any
    architecture or interior design book  by Francis Ching  is worthwhile - every architecture student and teacher I know swears by his work and I wouldn't have survived University without them). 

- Architectural Details - A Visual Guide to 5000 years of Building Styles by Emily Cole
    - Gardner's Art Through out the Ages - A Global History by Fred S. Kleiner 

I use books more than anything so I don't have a lot of videos etc. The items above are good for beginning education in architecture and interior design. You get a general sense  of different periods and how to draw architecture from 2D to elevations and in perspective and then you can do further research into specific topics. For general books like this, I always recommend looking at the bibliography as the author/s are more likely to reference other material specifically on that topic. 

Hope this helps!

*EDIT*
    I looked through some of my bookmarked websites and below are some resources people in the architecture / interior design world look at. 

http://www.archdaily.com/
    http://www.wallpaper.com/
    http://www.dezeen.com/
    http://www.designsponge.com/

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @Aleyera this helps me too, thanks!
  • chyslns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chyslns polycounter lvl 8
    @Aleyera Woah I wasn't expecting this much info! This definitely gives me enough material for months, thank you so much!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @Aleyera I'm guessing you mean Francis D.K. Ching, not King? Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleyera polycounter lvl 5
    @Ashervisalis - hahahaha yes!! I didn't even realise I wrote King. It's Francis D.K. Ching.