Home Adobe Substance

Shiny on marble texture (Substance Designer)

loukass_m
null
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to Substance Designer and I have been trying to figure out how to finish the marble texture I've been working on.
I can't seem to find a good tutorial in how to make my marble shiny, so far I'm not really 100% happy with the way it looks since marble is usually very polished and shiny.

Does anyone have any links they could share with me for good tutorials or could give me a hand with this?
It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    For the roughness: Create a design that has some variation in roughness. For a quickie, you could use one of the grunge maps that Substance Designer has built in. Hook that up to a Histogram Range node, and this allows you to control your roughness range and intensity. Plug that node into the output node for roughness. The more white, the more rough, thus, the more black, the more shiny. Hope this helps :)
  • loukass_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loukass_m null
    Hey Ashervisalis!

Thank you so much for the reply.

I somewhat tried to give a try to what you told me:

Am i just crazy that i don't the difference? (I used the mask for the dents because i figured, dents wouldn't be polished)

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'm wondering why you're using an imported image for the roughness map?

The Histogram Range node is pretty cool, where you can set the controls in the node, and then control the range in Substance Painter or Unreal Engine. I'd honestly just use that instead of a levels node. Also, the roughness range isn't going to be very drastic for a marble texture. It'll look more like a dark grey map, with slight variation. Here, you've got quite an intense contrast.

Regarding your 'dents', is this marble inside of a building? There isn't much denting in marble, it would be a pretty flat surface. The roughness grunge map is more for scuff marks on the marble, or areas which haven't had a good polishing in a while.
  • loukass_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loukass_m null
    I'm wondering why you're using an imported image for the roughness map?

I did it so i could mask the roughness in the cracks in the marble, since the cracks wouldn't be polished :) I wanted the polish to only be on the flat surface of the marble
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, when your base colour is so light, it's gonna be difficult to see the reflections, especially on a plane like that. Try previewing on a sphere or cylinder instead, also disconnect the base colour to see the roughness more clearly. But when you finish the material you need to take all the maps into account and how they play together