Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Learn C# for unity or learn Unreal Visual Scripting?

Bumblebee
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
hey guys,

so I was kinda looking for something new to learn and perhaps build a game as a hobby project. I am mainly a 3D artist and wanted to be a little bit more independent from coders regarding making small games. Now I like both unity and unreal but I feel like unreal has much more to offer however, I reckon its much harder to learn(?). I like the visual shader scripiting and gameplay scripting, and the tools that already ship with it while unity has most of these only in the asset store as far as I can remember. So basically I want to create small games and maybe later something more ambitious. I have some knowledge with python and little bit of java. I am not quite sure which I should learn. Visual scripting or learning C# and then go with unity for starters. Would be nice if some of you guys could advice me on that and maybe mention some pros and cons you ve encountered during your career on both engines. As an artist, i am also interested on the art side of things and how convenient it is to create good looking environments of both. 

Thank you so much

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

I messed about with Kismet back in 2009 when learning UDK which I have to say didn't impress at all but since then it appears they've put a lot of work into visual OD solutions like Blueprints and as far as I know is at this point a fairly powerful, adaptive option on top of other native UE scripting systems so IMO worth a look at least especially with creating compact scale games in mind.  

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Unreal is significantly easier to get shaders and stuff built for. 
    Blueprints are powerful and fast enough for most gameplay related things but can become hard to read. 

I prefer working on Unreal if it's just me doing stuff as it does more out of the box. 
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Would recommend the c# direction. As competent as some visual scripting systems are becoming, they are all specific to a certain engine, so if in the future you switch engines you're back to square 1, whereas actually learning a language you can carry this forward for the rest of your life
  • Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    yes, im going to walk the c# route, as painful as it may be in the beginning haha. Hopefully should catch it up quickly