Home Technical Talk

Baking details into a flat plane?

Elarionus
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
I've been playing around with this for a while, but I've noticed that large amounts of games have a lot of details baked into flat planes, especially for  floors, walls, and ceilings. They supplement this with more 3D objects, but they still somehow get huge amounts of detail into their walls.

I tried this myself using Substance Painter, and a set of Alphas that were offered for free on the internet. I started playing with it, and I was able to stamp MASSIVE "objects" into my wall, which was just a single plane. However, I was trying to make something for my floor, and I had the low poly be perfectly flat, while the high poly had two long grooves and several other divots inset into it. For the grooves, I only dropped the insets down by -0.5cm in 3DS max. When I baked it, it didn't look very clean at all:

This raised two questions for me:

One, how can I get the bake detail that I want from a high poly to a low poly that's just a plane? Surely it's somehow possible, because the alphas can give me AMAZING results on the same mesh, as pictured below:

Those grooves in the floor, or "ceiling grates" that I'm thinking about adding in just don't look right at all with alphas, and it's very difficult to get the same precision as the mesh itself, baking from high to low poly.

The second question is, and I've gotten hints of this from other threads, but how can I start making alphas like this myself? Somebody mentioned something about projecting something onto a plane in ZBrush one time, but I'm a little too much of a beginner to understand that without a lot more steps/detail. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Looks to me like your grooves are just too subtle to show up well. You can either make them deeper, or rely on other maps to make them pop. 

As for alphas in Zbrush, its the easiest thing ever. Anything you do in the Zbrush canvas can be captured as a depth/alpha map by using the 'grab doc' function in the alpha palette. You can then use that custom alpha on any brush.
  • Elarionus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin said:
    Looks to me like your grooves are just too subtle to show up well. You can either make them deeper, or rely on other maps to make them pop. 

As for alphas in Zbrush, its the easiest thing ever. Anything you do in the Zbrush canvas can be captured as a depth/alpha map by using the 'grab doc' function in the alpha palette. You can then use that custom alpha on any brush.
    Alright, I'll give it a shot! What about hard surface things? Can I model them in Max, and bring them into ZBrush to turn into an alpha?
  • Elarionus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin said:

Sorry for the double post, but I had to say, you are a LIFESAVER. Thank you so much, this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for this entire time! I've always had a nervous relationship with ZBrush, as I'm a very numbers/tech oriented guy, and ZBrush is crazy to me, between the UI and the massive amount of hidden features. This is fantastic, thank you so much!
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    You're welcome, glad I could help :) Zbrush can definitely be intimidating, but it's well worth taking the time to get your head around it.