Home Marmoset

Baking ignore-groups AO but with objects split on 2 UV maps

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey there. I'm baking out a Tommy Gun I'm working on currently. In order to maximise UV density I decided to use 2 UV maps(one for the drum magazine, bullet, grip and front pump. Another UV for the body and the rest of the parts). When it comes to baking with the "ignore groups" setting on(to assist Substance Painter mainly), and I do want the grip and front pump to be have occlusion from the surrounding parts(not the drum though because it is removable).

Blue parts are on one UV map, white parts are on another UV map

So my question is if I want ALL the parts minus the drum magazine to have occlusion from eachother, can I simply use the high poly of the grip and front pump to achieve that effect on the white parts? Would I just use the high poly of the white parts and it would bake occlusion down to the blue parts(minus the drum which is removable) and it will be fine despite being on separate UVs? It works for floaters with no geometry so this should work?

Hard to word this question but any help would be much appreciated :smiley:

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assuming this is Toolbag:

The easiest way to do this is to bake both UV sets in one baker object. You can use the texture sets feature to bake both at once. Apply a unique material to the objects for each UV layout and then turn on Multiple Texture Sets. This will bake a set of maps for each UV layout.

Ignore groups will work with meshes from both texture sets. For the bake group with the drum mag, go to the Low object and enable Exclude When Ignoring Groups, this will keep it from casting / receiving AO to / from other groups. You can use this setting for any other objects which will move, like the bolt and ejection port too.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely Toolbag :smiley:

This helps heaps. Thanks for that. Say I dont want the drum and it's attached components(badges, screws etc) to be excluded from the body but not from eachother, would the only viable option be to move it away from the body for the AO bake? As if I exclude the drum components they won't cast on eachother either.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, moving these groups away would be the best choice in that case.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much again. I would be lost without this forum hehe.