at my Digital Environment Creation lessons at the Games Academy we got the assignment to create a scene matching one of several games our teacher (Jussi Keteli) gave us and I chose to go with "Batman Arkham Knight".
The goal for this assignment is to create a visual appealing (Focus: Composition) small scene with only a few assets (max. 5 different props and 3 tiling textures, but as much environment geo as we like). The scene should match the chosen games style as good as possible.
I want to take the chance and document the development here and hope that some of you can give me valuable feedback and by this help in completing this task. I plan to update this post on a regular base (1-2 times/week). The Project
Blockout: DonePrototyping: Ongoing
I took a closer look at Batman Arkham and identified the style as neo-gothic combined with modern architecture of the 19th century (think of the Eifeltower or the Grand Palais in Paris).
After some brainstorming I came up with the idea of a office placed in a church.
The office belongs to some anti-hero version of Bruce Wayne (think of Xanatos from the Gargoyles cartoon).
Since he's always ready to disappear the office will not contain any personal items, instead it's minimalistic and functional. (This will also help me with staying within the limits of this assignment).
Since most of the shots from the Batman Arkham series have also dramatic lights, I decided I want something similar here and went with a big church window as the central point of this composition.
I also wanted to have a very high camera with a wide FoV, like Batman is sitting in the woodwork and is looking down.
I did a first sketch:
(Yeah this is really a rough sketch)
Based on this I blocked out the scene in max to get a better feeling of the perspektive, forms and placements.
I exchanged the round window with a classic church window to make it more prominent.
I also changed the format from square to vertical to give it a comic book cover feeling.
I also did a first quick prototype of the desk, but I'm not 100% sure if it fits the Batman Style.
If you already have any feedback or hints how to tackle or improve this project feel free to post here.