Home Adobe Substance

I always combine meshes in Maya first when I want a shared texture set. Am I doing this right?

null
Offline / Send Message
Inno null
Hi, I hope the title is not too confusing! What I meant was:

- I model the base meshes in Maya and for sculpting/texturing I place them next to each other and combine them to one asset. I'm also doing the UV mapping there so the combined mesh has no overlapping going on.
- from there I export it to ZBrush and then to Substance Painter to bake my maps and do further texturing.

I feel like I'm missing an essential feature of Painter here, is it possible to bake seperate objects to one single texture? Combining maps in Photoshop seems even more time-consuming to me and my current approach feels kinda weird.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Painter splits objects up by material so any exported objects that share a material will be baked to the same texture.  

There's no need to combine meshes etc. for any of this - you can unwrap multiple objects together in Maya  
  • Inno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inno null
    poopipe said:
    Painter splits objects up by material so any exported objects that share a material will be baked to the same texture.  

There's no need to combine meshes etc. for any of this - you can unwrap multiple objects together in Maya  
    Thanks for the insight! :)
    However there's still something I don't quite understand. To bake multiple objects down to one single texture, you have to import all objects into one substance file, right? So I just have to add them together under Edit -> Project Configuration?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Just select the objects and export them to a single file.  Painter doesn't care how many meshes are in the low res.   

You can load multiple high res models in to bake from so do whatever works there.