Home Technical Talk

How to create quality torn edge alpha?

cjpeg
null
Offline / Send Message
cjpeg null
Hello, yet again I require some help. I want to create an alpha for my opacity map that represents torn plastic / fabric like on this picture, but I have no idea how to do it. Please someone help me...

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Draw a picture of the tearing and put it in your opacity map. 

These things are often quite simple 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    This is a copyright image, but it's good for an example: 

In photoshop, you can get started by using images of torn cloth, desaturating them, using selection tools to isolate the parts you want, then going in manually with brush tool or whatever to clean things up how you see fit. Or you can make a custom brush and just do it all by hand. Personally I liike to start from real images -- otherwise I spend too much time focusing in on unimportant details. It will take some time to create your alpha's, but once you got them you will use them for many projects so think of it as an investment. 

At the end, I recommend exporting a black background and a white background version, so you have options.  

There is also plenty of alpha packs you can purchase from places like gumroad or artstation which have have what you need. I think I have a few from JRO tools that are pretty handy from time to time.

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You could also model a hi-poly torn edge using splines or even a fur simulator. Then you can render this to a texture and use that as an alpha. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You could also model a hi-poly torn edge using splines or even a fur simulator. Then you can render this to a texture and use that as an alpha. 
    That sounds great, because then you can produce a normal and AO map for it as well. And any other maps you may need.