Home Adobe Substance

How to Approach Glass in Substance Painter?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SaltySalter polycounter lvl 3
I need some help to guide me through the process for this glass piece on my radio. What technique or workflow should I use to get a close result to the reference? I've never dealt much with glass but would it just be working with opacity?

REFERENCE

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That mostly depends on what your final output and rendering method will be.
    1. Is it going into an engine like Unreal or Unity? Rendered only in substance or in maya/max?
    2. How do you plan to build that shader/material and what does it need to support?
    3. Does it turn on and glow or is it always off?
    4. What about the needle does it move behind the glass?
    5. will there be dirt or scratches on the glass that need to be factored into the transparency?
    6. Do you actually need to use transparency or can you fake it with a much cheaper standard shader?
  • SaltySalter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaltySalter polycounter lvl 3
    That mostly depends on what your final output and rendering method will be.
    1. Is it going into an engine like Unreal or Unity? Rendered only in substance or in maya/max?
    2. How do you plan to build that shader/material and what does it need to support?
    3. Does it turn on and glow or is it always off?
    4. What about the needle does it move behind the glass?
    5. will there be dirt or scratches on the glass that need to be factored into the transparency?
    6. Do you actually need to use transparency or can you fake it with a much cheaper standard shader?
    I'm gonna render this in Marmoset and maybe Unreal Engine 4. I was thinking a slight emissive glow around the edges and yes I will add some dirt stains on the glass most likely. I'm not too familar with in engine shaders, but an emissive map is a good option I think for Unreal.