Home Adobe Substance

Normal map acting weird

Nyurah
null
Offline / Send Message
Nyurah null
Hello! I'm quite new and I have the feeling I'm making a stupid mistake...

I'm creating my own textures in Substance Designer, then I apply that texture in Substance Painter to put it onto a 3D model in Unity.

When creating the texture the normal map looks fine, as you can see on the picture below. I also make sure to set it to 'relative to parent' since not doing that previously gave me errors.

When I put this texture on the 3D model in Substance Painter I have to change the 'UV Scale' since the texture will otherwise be too big for the object, normally when I applied textures, which weren't my own, I never had to touch this before;; 

These are the settings: 

When baking and exporting the texture... well, the normal map looks like this:

I'm guessing that scaling the UV's in Substance Painter causes the normal map to act this way since when I apply this in Unity it doesn't look too great either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do to fix it, could anyone help me? 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The uvs on your mesh don't fill the page and anything outside the uvs gets clamped which is why the output looks funny (its supposed to do that) 

That's also why you have to tile your material.

I don't know what you're making so can't say whether that's right or not
  • Nyurah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nyurah null
    Thank you for your reply! I didn't know that, I thought normal maps always mostly looked blue.

This is just for a simple plane since it's just a ground texture.
    This is the UV:

The thing is, the texture still looks weird when exporting and applying it in Unity, I thought it would be the normal map, but you're saying it's supposed to do that so now I'm not sure what the cause of the weird texture in Unity is... 

This is how it looks in Unity:

This is how it's supposed to look and how it looks in Substance Designer:

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if you want to match what you get in designer you need to make your UVs fill the 0-1 space. 

i imagine it looks roughly the same in unity as it does in painter