Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junior Environment artist looking for critique

liamd1994
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
liamd1994 null
recently Worked on this diorama for the last 8 weeks or so and would love some people to give me some critique to help me improve when tackling  another project. I've included a few screen shots, but for more information and a detailed look at some of the assets via Marmoset go to my ArtStation https://www.artstation.com/liamdummackin

A little bit about me i have recently just finished a Masters Degree in Video game Art and I'm looking at building a decent junior level portfolio to allow me to obtain an entry level environment artist job in the games industry. Thank you in advance :smiley:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The grass really stands out to me as being unnatural. It looks like little green spikes instead of natural foliage. The layout/composition could use some work as well. At first, my I can't decide on what to look at, as every prop is spread out evenly around the scene. Looks really cool aside from that :)
  • liamd1994
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamd1994 null
    Yeah i feel you on that one I do feel the grass could be a lot better, in fairness it was my first attempt at foliage so i'm predicting the more I do it the better i get (I hope). Yeah i can see where you are coming from with the composition there is a lot going on so your focus isn't really centred anywhere. All good points and has helped, thanks dude, btw you have some nice pieces on your ArtStation keep doing what you are doing :)
  • blueblur22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blueblur22 polycounter lvl 5
    Your theme and color choices are consistent and work together well. The layout, however, doesn't make a lot of sense. The well indoor I can accept, but why would someone build their home around a stump? Get that stump outside where it belongs. The grass and vines indoor also are a stretch too (especially vines next to a lit torch and on the hot oven).

The scene is also too dark. Even if this were at night, the moon/stars would at least have a little ambient light going on. A skybox could be a huge plus.

The crystals look like they are clipping though the wall of the well. If they are, correct that. If those are just little chunks, move/delete 'em so they don't look like part of the large chunks on the ground (They shouldn't sit perfectly flat on the wall if they are a round stone).
    I think the crystals would look pretty cool if they had an ambient glow to them, but that's up to you.

I like the weapon designs. I also really like that all of them were clearly made with the crystal materials in the scene.

Also I've gotta say it... that grass needs to be thought out again. Here, see if this is something helpful for that.

Keep at it and post an update if you try some new stuff here.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What reference photos of blacksmith locations are you using?

This place looks way tooostensibly clean that I do not buy that a blacksmith works here.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    I feel like, with many people above me, it's a bit unclear in general whether this is inside our outside a blacksmith's workshop. It's mostly your use of the stone floor, I think.
    If it's inside, then take out the stump and grass and focus on getting a grimy, homely interior going. You can still have the ivy, so long as you can justify their existence where they are e.g. a hole in the ceiling.
    If outside, swap out the floor for an earth floor with grass at the edges where the blacksmith wouldn't walk.

As a side note, walls going directly into floors at a 90 degree angle always looks very "gamey". Consider adding a stone skirting/trim to the tops and bottoms of the walls in your diorama to give the wall a better shape.
    Keep going!
  • liamd1994
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamd1994 null
    All good points, The reason i decided that the blacksmith could have built his workshop on top of the crystals was the fact the crystal items in games tend to be high level items, meaning that this crystals would be of high value. There are many references to people in real world scenarios stumble upon diamonds and build towns right where the diamond mines, when the diamonds dry up the towns are abandoned that's an insight into my thought processes and decision making on that point. I should of given a little more context to allow people giving feedback a better insight and understanding of my thought processes.

The crystals may appear to be clipping from the angle of the screen shot i have provided, but that isn't the case. these are smaller crystal shards which have been placed. The image below gives a better angle.

I completely agree about the foliage particularly the grass and the tutorial you kindly linked me to looks significantly better. Because its a diorama i wanted to open it up so it would allow me to experiment with foliage if this was a completely interior scene i wouldn't of been able to experiment with foliage basics. I also accept that some of whats going on in this scene doesn't make scene for example the grass inside. The most efficient and low-poly way i could think of to add some damage without revisiting the floor texture was to create a simple decal, this allowed me to break up the floor tiling texture. I also think that you are right when you suggested about adding a skirting board to the wall, this would have certainly helped.

All of the points you guys have given me has been very insightful and helpful and I have certainly taken in and valued all the feedback you have given me.