Home Technical Talk

Zbrush model scale and fitting it to uv tile

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

I have modeled character face in zbeush.
Issue i had was this that after retopo i took model to unfold 3D and when i cut model and unfold the elements of model do not fit to one uv tile. I have option to fit to uv tile but then unfold shows model in red(distortion etc) i tried to use udim-s but turns out substance does nit support udim model texturing / painting.

How to proceed? Any tips? Scale down model in zbrush ant try then?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The scale of your model doesn't effect the scale of your UV shells. You can scale the UV shells independently however you need to make them fit into the 0-1 space. In most situations, keeping all of the human face into a single texture map would probably be best. 

Unfold 3d is great for unwrapping, but I think your standard 3d apps are still better for the packing of the UV shells you have unwrapped. 

What is important is that the UV shells maintain a close texel density. Read more about  texel density on the wiki. It is especially important when dealing with contiguous things like a human face. 

You mentioned that you tried switching to UDIM's.... so the question is, are you making a game model, or a cinema model? As far as I know, UDIM's are not supported by any game engines, so it's important to know how you want to deliver your final product.
  • ISUther
    Offline / Send Message
    ISUther polycounter lvl 6
    The scale of your model doesn't effect the scale of your UV shells. You can scale the UV shells independently however you need to make them fit into the 0-1 space. In most situations, keeping all of the human face into a single texture map would probably be best. 

Unfold 3d is great for unwrapping, but I think your standard 3d apps are still better for the packing of the UV shells you have unwrapped. 

What is important is that the UV shells maintain a close texel density. Read more about  texel density on the wiki. It is especially important when dealing with contiguous things like a human face. 

You mentioned that you tried switching to UDIM's.... so the question is, are you making a game model, or a cinema model? As far as I know, UDIM's are not supported by any game engines, so it's important to know how you want to deliver your final product.
    Hey, 

Thank you for reply. 
    I am trying to do hero character face and bust, 
    Focusing on cinematic pipeline.
    Model was sculpted in zbrush
    retopology was also done.

Goal is something detailed like this  but textured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnF6fkTYDRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6yFAxfgdXI

Planing to build VFX effect on top of the model inside Houdini. 
    And i want to make close shots.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Gotcha. For that workflow, I cannot help at all. But if people are saying Substance painter does not support UDIM's, that's probably something you got to investigate further. 

However, I don't think because you are going for a non-game model that means you can't use traditional UV's. In any case, if you are not familiar with laying out UV's, it is a subject well covered by a number of tutorials. Like many things, the wiki is a good place to get a good overview, and then follow further links to perhaps find a step-by-step tutorial to wlak through the process. 

Maya has really good UV layout tools, and the Maya Learning Channel on youtube has some excellent tutorials that explains how to use them and uses a human character as the demo subject, so I'd recommend checking that out. Even if you end up working with UDIM's, it's probably worthwhile to know both workflows, I'd expect.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Painter does support udims