Home Adobe Substance

UDIM texturing in Substance Painter

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
Hello, 

I have problem with Substance painter and my UDIM-s.
UV-s were done via Unfold 3D. 
But i see those like this in substance painter (look at image). 
I also get an error when i try to apply Smart material (dust on it). 

One guy in substance forum told me that i cant paint udims models in substance designer

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    A uv shell isnt allowed to cross a UDIM border. And substance cant paint udims at the same time. Only one by one. 
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ISUther polycounter lvl 6
    I know Houdini focus has been VFX,
    I have few questions regarding cinematic pipeline.
    Hero characters, close shots UDIM-s etc.

I know by the fact UDIM-s are used in films and often also on hero characters and in VFX pipeline.
    Main reasin is that you have more control over texture details on specific model.
    For example: If i have a character face and i need specific part of that face to be more detailed then other i have udim-s and that specific part (UDIM tile / UV tile) that covers that area of face has higher UV texture resolution thus means that that area can have more detailed / higher rez textures.

Now typical pipeline i understand is so called Sketch to screen workflow. (same workflow that Aaron Sims Creative Studio uses) and many others.
    1. Model is sculpted
    2. Model retopology is done (retopo that supports and follows basics for topo that is needed for animation)
    3. Model is animated (in maya or houdini)
    4. Model is textured (ptex or UV-s)
    5. VFX is created
    6. Look dev that means shaders are created, lights are created etc)
    7. VFX compositing (nuke etc)
    8. and final shot(s) are rendered.

What i struggle is how to proceed with my pipeline.
    Need to focus on specific things and not to try study full program as houdini is huge. Need to take one project and step by step try to complete it.
    SO at the moment regarding my project>

1. Sculpting part is done
    2. Retopology part is done
    3. UV-s are done (Used Unfold 3D( and model has UDIM UV-tiles
    4, Model is tegxtured in Mari (So now model has UDIM textures) tho i was thinking for second to try ptex also but i think it does not support xyz texturing method.

And now i am strugeling with shader building as there are not many good tutorials regarding Houdini skinn shader-s.
    And not getting good result with those.
    For second i was thinking to use substance painter as in that case you do not have to build shader from scratch.
    Example

But problem is that Substance does not have fully implemented full UDIM-s support. It does support UDIM-s but you cant paint seamlesly over model that has UDIM-s.
    Explained here

So now i was thinking may be i can do skin shader in Maya
    as there are way more maya btutorials regarding UDIM-s and skin shaders then there is Houdini,
    But as my plan was also to create VFX effect i would try to do it in Houdini. And now arises question can i do VFX in houdini and shaders in maya and some how bring those over to Houdini or vice versa_