Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Breitling 806 Vintage Watch

node
Offline / Send Message
Budai node
Hey!

I started working on this a few weeks ago, as I thought it would be an interesting project to do in order to get to know a large number of different 3D software. I started learning 3D modelling from scratch in May, so it seemed like a good challenge, and it certainly has been this far, quite the learning curve I have to say.

Software used:
- Illustrator
- Photoshop
- 3DS Max
- Marmoset Toolbag (V-ray for final render)
- Unfold 3D
- Fontlab
- Substance Painter
- Substance Designer
- Lightmap Studio
- Zbrush

A few of my own thoughts:
- The stitches look too flat. Does anyone know how to improve them? Should I do them in Zbrush, or can they look better through substance painter (which I used in this case)

I would love to hear what you think, both good and bad, and anything in between:)

Replies

• Budai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    UPDATE:

Worked on the lighting some more, and changed the dial a bit. I think the image looks a bit sharper and professional now.

With Glass (forgot about it):

Hmm, I see that I am having a bit of an issue with the outer ring from the dial being washed out.. I tried changing the image filter to area in v-ray, and changing the texture in SP, but still doesn't come out right.. Does anyone have an idea about what I might be doing wrong?

• Budai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    Haha, the hands got  all messed up in the terrible typology of the glass, fixed it in this update

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice stuff!
    The face looks very flat and the stitching (even though you got the relief) looks painted on. For a close up of a product it needs more reallife features because you are presenting a detail shot. Here is a watch I did as an experiment to test out product presentation using zBrush as a modelling tool.

There are other zBrush modelling shots and a fly around of the watch model on: http://www.art-werx.com/?page_id=1403
    zBrush is bannanas for modelling, even hard products. I think your model could use depth in the face(at the moment it looks like a flat image), a little rounding on the edges, counter sink features that are counter sunk (like the stitching) and a product render in a HDRI environment.
  • Budai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    Hmm.. with regards to the dial looking flat, I think that you are absolutely right, especially with regards to that earlier updated version (I think it looks a bit better in the update I made before reading your comment, as attached below, but still needs some work).

Hmm.. More details (such as imperfections) would enhance the depth, as the protruding elements are not as distinct as in the watch model you have made. Oh, and just noticed that the hands are too flat to the dial, so that would crrtainly help with the issue as well. Also, I need to work on the glass. Hehe, thinking as I write here.

Oh, and of course your excellent suggestion regarding using Zbrush. I have been reluctant in using it, because of the issues with too much geometry, but I recently purchased a stronger computer, so the texturing shouldn’t be a problem now. 

Thank you for your excellent guidance, much appreciated!

oh, and some of the references I’ve used;