Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner 3D- Need pros eye for critique

Hi lads, Im starting out in 3D and require experienced 3D Artists,guys and pros to provide me with much needed critique to help me improve. I've been doing some 3dsmax modelling of a weapon concept of mine, and was wondering about the model I've been making.
Any tips would be of help :smile:

Regarding the topology

Cheers

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That's not how picatinny rails look on the side.
    Muzzle size makes little sense relative to the size of the clip.
    Why does a pistol have a tiny butt stock?
    That's not how iron sights are built.
    Do you have a render without a wireframe?
    Where's the clip release?
    Where's the safety?
    Where's the brass ejection port?
    The clip should be angled in the opposite direction.  The actually fired portion of a bullet tends to be thinner than the brass casing of most modern bullets.
    What does your concept look like or was this made straight from your imagination?
    I personally do not like the design given the discordance of the flowing forms of the butt with the blockiness of the body of the pistol.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd suggest keeping your topology a lot more simple. You've got a ton of edge loops that aren't really doing anything, and those are just going to make the process more complex when you start adding more detail. Keep it up :)
  • CaptainPillow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for critique guys. Responding to Brian Panda Choi in-depth review, the design is done based on a design but have changed as per learning. The design itself is not realistIc and as you have mentioned, has some errors. Thanks for that, I shall make the changes mate. Regarding the way I model, would you guys suggest less vertices as per Ashervisalis review?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You don't need pro eyes to critique this. It has a lot of common beginner mistakes (everything I saw has already been mentioned), which you will get past more speedily if you follow some high quality tutorials like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MYGCdf9VHs

Forums are great for getting little nuggets of advice or specific feedback, but to get a handle on the fundamentals of modeling it will be very slow to ask the million questions you'll have one by one and wait for replies. This is not to discourage use of the forums whatsoever, it's just about being efficient with your learning. It would seem like just asking a community of artist would be the surest way to get a quick answer, but there is only so many people here who are going to see your question and have the time/inclination to respond, versus a vast wealth of knowledge that is just sitting out there for the taking. A great place to get started is the wiki on this site. Besides concise breakdowns and explanations of common technique, there are many links to further reading. There is hardly anything you can't learn, so long as you make the time.

So, whenever you find that your questions are kind of broad or vague, that's a good indication that it probably falls in the realm of "beginner questions." Whenever you think you may have that sort of question, I encourage you to dig far and wide -- not because it's like annoying or anything to see beginners asking questions on forums (I am sure I have asked plenty myself) -- but just because you will find your answers faster and more thorough by exhausting all the pre-existing content first. 

There is a lot of uncertainty in self-learning, and I think this is a real bear many people have a tough time getting around. Developing confidence isn't easy and it doesn't happen overnight, so you want to get some confirmation from others. Unfortunately, unless you have a full time mentor or maybe you have a small group of peers/friends whom you chat with daily, you won't really be able to get that daily feedback -- so if you are in something of a void and most of the time you aren't certain that you are doing things the best way, the best thing that I think to do is just find all the avaiable information you can, and then ready or not just start working. Doesn't matter what the result is, the focus is to make all the mistakes you can so you can learn. You'll learn a lot from the tutorials and the reading, but you'll develop the confidence and discover all the things you didn't know that you needed to know by doing the work. Challenge yourself as much as you can. Train hard, fight easy.

I'd also recommend working on real-life weapons you can easily find comprehensive reference for -- assuming you are wanting to work on more weapons. It's clear you don't have crazy-gun-nut knowledge about weapons yet, so any design self-made is going to be weaker than someone who knows how firearms operate and are manufactured. 

Overall that looks like a pretty solid job by a beginner. The design isn't perfect nor is the topology, but it does look like you have some logic and understanding to what you are doing -- just need some education to fill in the gaps.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choose a better concept unless you're going to go through the concept art process with this and create some design iterations.

@BIGTIMEMASTER
    Alex, just as a gentle criticism, I feel like you can generally be more succinct about your intended advice.
  • CaptainPillow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys. In terms of advice, I only wanted to see if the topology was heading in the right direction. Regarding the design, its more of a practice run and less final product orientated, plus it looks nothing like the original concept. Still learning and any advice is appreciated. Thanks again
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @Brian "Panda" Choi, 

Why? I do edit for conciseness/brevity. The thing is, if somebody ask, "how much topo do I need," I don't see "47" as an adequate answer because this is not answering the real question that the person doesn't know that they don't know, which is "why does topology matter and how do I learn about it?" It's the old proverb of giving a person a fish versus teaching them to fish.

I am sure someone else might be able to explain the same things as me more concisely, but I don't see a lot of it, so from time to time I try to say what I think needs to be said. That's just the way I am. If the advice doesn't fit the individual, I hope they won't be offended but maybe somebody else may find it useful. Certainly if it's offensive a PM can be sent to me to let me know why.

Chances are, most people who read my lengthy walls-o-text will just say, "blah blah blah I just wanted a yes or no I don't need help learning how to learn." But it still raises the idea and gets somebody to question their methodology, and whether or not they decide to make a change, it's refinement of the learning process which is going to make the single biggest improvement to the persons art -- not hen-pecking the art itself.

That's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER
    You should definitely contribute to the wiki.  It could use your style of expository writing.  A lot of the stuff there might be a little outdated at the moment.

Also, your stuff isn't offensive when you're trying to let them know the thing they don't know.  I am specifically saying it can be pared down even more in response to certain threads, help make your advice punchier.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    I would say follow some tutorials to gain additional knowledge and skill if you want to become a 3D artist :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Really need to second on what Brian said, if you want to lean, don't cripple yourself with concepts, especially not your own concepts, its such a extreme stone in your way of learning that really needs to be stated. Go for real objects where you can not just change the shape because you don't feel like modeling that one thing, people can actually help and its instantly visible if there is a mistake in the form. Half of the learning is your brain picking up patterns from real objects to interpret the shapes and get better at perspective, if you don't take real references this will stay bad for a long time.