Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Portrait - Training - Critique/Feedback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ray17 polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks, a little nervous to post here, but I guess we all started at a noob level at some point. I created my very first realistic(ish) human portrait these days, trying to figure out xgen/hairrendering/and rendering in general along the way. My gosl with this was to get to know some workflows in regards of hair creation and realism in modelling. I will smooth the next head and also add SSS and normal maps etc. (Couldn't figure out yet how to add the SSS map, wich I did draw actually, but well). Soooo...I just wanted to post it here and ask for some feedback. Aboout the anatomy, the style, the hairrender. Maybe someone knows some good tutorials about haircreation, headmodelling, and also rendering (here with mental ray). :)

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Thanks for posting and sharing!

Can you post just the sculpt?  Most of your big issues are stemming from there.

Hair right now reads REALLY metally, which shouldn't be the case, and I'm not getting that clean anisotropic banding I would expect from game hair.  Reads more like distressed silk than hair, atm.
  • ray17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray17 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Brian, thanks for your reply!

Here are some more perspectives of the sculpt:(This was the sculpt which I then imported back to Maya for some modifications, so the basemesh now looks like this: sry for the quality, but my computer is way too slow for good renders right now x.x)

About the Hair: Yeah I haven't figured out how to modify the default xgen material.^^" I did play around with the settings according to a few youtube tutorials I found, however for the render with mental ray I guess I need to change the material a bit more or change the mental ray settings. Not sure what you mean in regards of the banding though? Do you mean the pink part or the stubbles? I was aiming for this rather straight hairstyle. Looked at some more punk/straight hair/cyberpunk hairstyles. But maybe it is hard to read because it grows from the middle instead from the side, as one usually sees? Maybe it helps to make it messier, too.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to work on the planes of the face.

What were you using for a head reference?
  • ray17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray17 polycounter lvl 6
    At first I prepared a front and side few of a Selena Gomez picture for my  boxmodelbase (just for...anatomy, had no intention to create a like ness) and then threw it into Mudbox to change it according to no specific reference. Didn't want to change a lot at first, but the original model looked too round so I added a more distinctive jawline and  cheekbones and changed the nose and eyeshape.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should, for your benefit, do a likeness and get this sculpted properly.  If you want examples of what a good sculpt looks like, look at Frank Tzeng.
  • ray17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray17 polycounter lvl 6
    At first I thought: Yeah his work is amazing, however they never rly say how they got to the point to achieving these realistic sculpts.....and theeeen I saw he has some gumroadtutorials too. thank you for the tip! :)
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    ray17 said:
    At first I thought: Yeah his work is amazing, however they never rly say how they got to the point to achieving these realistic sculpts.....and theeeen I saw he has some gumroadtutorials too. thank you for the tip! :)
    theres no real secret to how achieve that level of art... just practice, over and over and over again.  Take this one all the way to completion, and your next one will be way better