Home Unreal Engine

Copy/Past foliage to another Streaming level ?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Tryall polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount community.

I have an issue with the Foliage tool inside Unreal engine. Actually I have two world that are inside two different streaming level. The player can change from one world to another. I want to have the first world be like the second one on some aspect.

One thing I want to do is to have two different foliage type. But in the same place (like a green oak-tree in the world 1 become a red  birch-tree in the world 2). So naturally I started to create some foliage inside the world 1 and then I wanted to copy past the painted foliage inside the world 2 and then modify the displayed mesh.

But currently I CAN'T copy past foliage. I can move it from one level to another but I can't copy/past it.
Do you have a solution about this ? The documentation of unreal don't say anything about that. Do I need (or can) modify the Unreal editor with some C++ code to add this basic feature ?

Thank you for your help :)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    C++. Using that, you could expose functions related to the foliage tool, to blueprints and from there you could make a copy.
  • Tryall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tryall polycounter lvl 2
    I found something But I still consider doing a tool for this. It will cost me so much time doing this way.

When you say I could expose functions related to the foliage tool into blueprints, do you mean doing a full plugin or some kind of editor runtime blueprint ? I'm most an Unity/C# person. I'm still new to the world of Unreal. If you could provide a link to something where I can start it would be great :blush:

the solution I found is the following : I need to select the foliage I want to move to the other level. Press down "ALT" and move a little bit the selection with the move tool. It will duplicate the current foliage. Than I just need to right click the desired streaming level and select "Move selected foliage to level". Then I just need to replace the duplicated selection with another FoliageType to change it's appearance. 

Thank you for your help !

• Tryall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tryall polycounter lvl 2
    Okay. I Started creating a Blueprint with a button that can be pressed from Editor. I successfully stored the "InstancedFoliageActor" from the world 1 and world 2. But I can't do anything with it by blueprints. I can't access the instanced mesh or anything.

So do I need to create custom unreal node with C++ by taking piece of code on the official c++ Unreal API ? 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter