Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Grass Material (Feedback are welcome)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
andreflome polycounter lvl 2
Here is a Stylized Grass Material done only with Substance Designer . For more detail: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/58X5aw

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think the albedo channel could benefit from higher contrast. Also mighth look into a little more roughness and normal variation to get the leaves to pop a little more. Right now it kind of looks like an old painting with a layer of dust on top.

Also, I don't know if this is standard stuff enviro people do, but it may be worthwhile to slap this material on a terrain in a game engine and see how it looks tiled. I wonder if some distinctive details like those three leaves forming a triangle shape might be a problem. Maybe with blending with other materials and whatever else is going on it's not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind.
  • andreflome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the albedo channel could benefit from higher contrast. Also mighth look into a little more roughness and normal variation to get the leaves to pop a little more. Right now it kind of looks like an old painting with a layer of dust on top.

Also, I don't know if this is standard stuff enviro people do, but it may be worthwhile to slap this material on a terrain in a game engine and see how it looks tiled. I wonder if some distinctive details like those three leaves forming a triangle shape might be a problem. Maybe with blending with other materials and whatever else is going on it's not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind.
    Thank you for your feedback, I will try to change that ! Thanks again! :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like you need to crank the normal intensity for the grass/leaves. Without the rocks, it looks far too flat. I think there also needs to be some variation in the grass colour. The leaves look pretty blurred as well.
  • andreflome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it better? Here the version 2.0 of it(More detail here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6a85mO ) :

• X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I believe all of BIGTIMEMASTER's crits still hold true. Your material is still reading as very flat.

You should try and get a greater range of values and hues into your grass. In general, the normal strength of your grass can be brought up and your roughness map should be addressed as well. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Also, check out screenshots of Fortnite. Maybe that's not the exact style you meant to go for, but I think that hyper-colorful, high contrast look is kind of the thing you should lean more towards with stylized materials like this. Of course the important thing really is integrating the material into the rest of the game, but still I think it may be important for your portfolio work to try to get as much visual interest from the material as possible.
  • andreflome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for your help. I will solve this issues and after I will lets you know my improvement! 
  • andreflome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ! Here is for now my last version. I'm done for now. Thanks again to everyone for your feedback. It was really appreciated! Here is the link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6a85mO