Home Technical Talk

Maya`s 'Unfold' option stretches uv shells different than expected.

Dawsky
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys. 

So i've noticed this behaviour a few times now and i am wondering if this is just a bug, and if so, is there is a way around it, or if i am missing out on a feature. 

Win10 (latest)
Maya 2018.4

With the image below i tried to capture what happens. 
I planar map the mesh from the top (Y), then hit "unfold" in the UV Editor. The result can be seen in the checker texture. Its obviously stretched very different from what it should be. 

This mesh is part of a larger object i am mapping currently and 'unfold' has been working as intended up to this point. 
Deleting history and reloading the scene didnt fix it.

Its not a gamebreaker but annoying nontheless. 
Did anyone experience this too and has a solution or knows the cause?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    is the unfold plugin loaded.?
    are the transforms frozen.?
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    oglu said:
    is the unfold plugin loaded.?
    this "transforms frozen" was also my first error i had with uv in maya :D good point
  • Dawsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    oglu said:
    Well, that fixed it. thank you. 
    didnt even know this could affect unfolding uvs. 
    it seems to be only affected by scale values, which is good to know. 
    anyway. thanks again! 
  • Bozurk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bozurk polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, Almost 3 years late, but this really has saved my butt! I was having the same issue and I was trying to look for solutions and spent hours troubleshooting. I knew it was related to my mesh and not my UVs, this very same issue occurred but with placing the actual seams/cut to make the unfolding. and not the projection method. And finally, Freezing my object's transformations has fixed it! Thanks a lot I didn't know that in Maya the UV's scale is also affected if the transformations aren't frozen. That's pretty much similar to Blender's CTRL+A and applying the transformations including Scale, Location, and Rotation!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think in blender I sometimes get a warning if I have not applied transforms :)