Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter failed to load 3D scene. Why?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
JustinT polycounter lvl 2
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My workflow is exporting a highpoly fbx from Zbrush of a full character I'm working on, and exporting a lowpoly fbx from Maya with the same subtools (all matching names with _HP and _LP as suffixes). Loading the lowpoly into SP works fine, but once I try to bake using the highpoly fbx I get these errors and the baking process does nothing, not even giving me a blank map.

What's strange is that I then tried exporting a small chunk of subtools as a test, and baking works fine.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    try using OBJ from zbrush instead - it might be some weird geometry in the subtools
  • JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    @sprunghunt After a lot of testing I think the issue comes from importing a highpoly mesh with too many polygons into SP. I kept lowering the  amount of active points in Zbrush by a combination of exporting subtools in small batches (based off of UV sets instead of the entire character) and reducing unnecessarily high subdivisions per subtool until it worked (around the 20 million active points range). I wasn't aware there was a limitation to polys in the *high* poly mesh, heh. If the problem still arises in the future I'll try your suggestion!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    If you're exporting your FBX with ASCII format, then try to use Binary instead. ASCII will increase your file size to be unreasonably high which Painter don't like. Same mesh same tris count different FBX format can make the file size ~2GB(ASCII) to ~500kMB(Binary), roughly estimation.