Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Museum

Arebiter
null
Offline / Send Message
Arebiter null
I have been working on and off on this project for a few weeks. The goal is to make a museum that looks like it could be from Overwatch. I am currently focusing only on the front/exterior of the museum. It will be used as a space to explore in a VR project being done by my class. 

The museum is supposed to be a french chateau from the 15 -16 century with contemporary influences. I want it to have a large front courtyard with trees and decorative plants, statues, etc.

I feel like I'm a decent modeler but I am really bad at creating good compositions. I would like to use this project to learn how to make a visually interesting scene and improve my skills at environmental modeling. I also want to learn how to make collections of assets that could easily be put together to make more complex objects. 

I wanted to make the museum stylized because I really like the way Overwatch looks - its models are hand-painted and stylized while still using PBR materials and textures. As I started this project, I began learning how to make textures in substance painter to try and get this look.

I realized that I had spent a lot of time modeling individual assets and not thinking about the overall scene and laying out things. So I wanted to go back and do it right.

I am hoping to get your advice on: 
  1. how to start building out this scene
  2. what things I should be focusing on when making an interesting exterior environment
  3. how to get it to look more like Overwatch
  4. the way the assets have been made
  5. and anything else you think I need to improve/fix
Thank you!

This is the model of the main entrance into the museum

A window

an early test to see how the banisters and railings fit each other. They are based off of the models in the Overwatch Rialto map.

The basic shape of the museum and the textures I've made for it so far.

I began to make a bunch of plant assets that I could use freely later to make a garden in front of the building.

These are the latest images of the museum after I put it in unity. It was just to see how things looked.