Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - November & December 2018 (57)

Replies

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
    I finished before Christmas! Man those tiles were a PITA. I realised partway through that I had fudged a few vertex normals on my Highpoly by making my basemesh... messily... but it was too late by that point to realistically correct it.
    model

catlady said:
    Should I use the same piece with 2 different textures and thickness for the interior and exterior or should I use separate pieces?  All the tutorials I've seen show either one sided modular walls or pre-textures 2-sided walls so I don't know how to build my pieces. I've left so many things unfinished just because I don't understand this simple thing. Here's an example: https://i.imgur.com/4daBAIc.png Help would be very much appreciated and sorry if this isnt the right place to ask.
    My advice for now would be to go for a workflow you find easiest. Modular environments are hard to get correct and there can be a lot of unforeseen problems so commit to one method and if you like it use it in the future. As far as your specific problem, I don't think there's much difference in terms of performance between the two approaches: a double-sided plane renders almost exactly the same as two separate single-sided planes (baring any overhead for them being separate objects in your render engine) The advantage of using thickness is it will lend realism to your models as you can bake a bevel on the doors and windows, which will help them catch the light nicely (although there are some fancy tricks you can use to fake this as well)
  • MattCane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattCane polycounter lvl 2

Hey peeps! Thought i would chuck up a WIP :smile: Feedback welcome as always! Finding this quite challenging and taking my time with it so that i learn as much as i can. Its nice to see everyone's work progressing! Merry Christmas :wink:
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    hey All! new thread will be going up today - sorry the holidays have been crazy XD

thanks for your patience! :)

kade
  • Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    kadeschui said:
    hey All! new thread will be going up today - sorry the holidays have been crazy XD

thanks for your patience! :)

kade
    No problems. Happy New Year and I hope everyone had a great holiday.  :) 

I was hoping to be finished by now, but I'm still plugging away at the boathouse scene. It's getting there. I mainly have the boats and a handful of props left.

For the texturing I wanted to go for a stylized look similar to what you would see in Team Fortress 2. Not sure I pulled it off well. 

• catlady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catlady polycounter lvl 4
    Dreyzie, this looks amazing.

Also thanks to the people who replied to me when I asked about modular environments. Some things are so difficult to figure out. Eventually I didn't make the building the way I wanted it to be and I had some issues with the grid snapping in 3ds max so my enviornment is not a 'proper' one. Still glad I participated though. 
    It will be finished in few days... I hope

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Great work all! hope everyone had a nice holiday season

the new thread for our next Challenge is up here:

https://polycount.com/discussion/207673/monthly-environment-art-challenge-january-february-2019-58/p1?new=1
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
    Still got quite a way to go before calling this done. Im really trying to get the look and feel right

• eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Lot's of fun stuff in here. Bravo Dreyzie! You get a gold star!

• gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there, lil late, but this months challenge, doeesn't have such an interesting concept for me. So here goes the Robot arm: 

Animated TB3 Viewer

• Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    gametime said:
    Hey there, lil late, but this months challenge, doeesn't have such an interesting concept for me. So here goes the Robot arm:
    Damn, awesome work! Congrats on making the front page.

After some delay, I finally reached a point in my scene where I can call it done. Better late than never I suppose. Feels great to complete one of these challenges.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVry8e
  • jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 4
    Hello all, 

I havent been super active in this thread but I got my inspo from the challenge way back when and finished the project a few weeks back. Thought I'd come around and at least show what i got done. 

@Dreyzie man i really dig your vibe, youve got a lot of life in your scene. One thing i learned from this project is to not be so afraid to break from the concept and be creative, I kind tried to follow the concept exactly and it came out a bit flat and lifeless. I think your scene really showed that that kind of thing can payoff alot. Although you CHEATED with the water shader, Haha i kid i kid, but seriously making my own water took like a week of work on its on and mine looks OK at best. Good learning experience anyway. 

anyways,

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2awVP

• gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    @Dreyzie thanks! awesome work. can we get a small walkthrough? 

@jakemoyo also really nice. I love that both of you have the same scene, but they are so different :)

• catlady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catlady polycounter lvl 4
    I know I'm very late... I started again in January because I wasn't happy with the way the scene looked and it's easier to start from the very beginning. I reached the quality bar that I had in my mind at first but now I see so many things that can be improved so I'll keep working on it. But for now I'm calling it done.