Home Marmoset

Toolbag 3.05 Cage breaks at Island Edge.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I realize this is probably is correct/expected. It does however not give as clean/smooth an edge if it kept the islands together in a cage.  At least for my purposes.

Is there a way to get the Marmoset cage generator to keep the vertices together?  Or is this unexpected with something with my fbx export causing it to break?

Options (don't need binormals since not for Unreal).

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the solution is to normalize the normals before export if anyone else comes across a similar issue.

EDIT: Wasnt issue.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This can happen in certain situations but should just be an issue with the cage preview interface, and should not affect the baked results. Basically the issue here is that we're using the a displacement mapping shader (necessary fo the offset map), and that can have issues at the UVs seams.

If this is affecting the baked result, then it may be an export settings issue, ie: you're splitting the verts along those edges on export.

It looks like you could probably UV this area more efficiently as well, without a UV seam along that edge.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some more digging.  It happens if I click on estimate offset.  If I don't touch the default cage other than the offset, it keeps the cage together.   It splits when I either paint the cage or use the estimate.  Is this when the displacement mapping shader engages?  I.E. This is Normal behavior and my mesh is not actually splitting at the islands upon import.

For my information, are meshes exported from Marmoset always broken at islands?  I was using that to test different export setting from Max => Marmoset => Max.  Just seeing if Marmoset always does this and doing the import/export testing is worthless to test if the model is actually splitting.

Per UVs not being efficient, I hate UV skewing and overly stretched pixels that happen because of it.  Its something Ive continued to struggle at accepting the trade off when UVing.  I'll try dampen my compulsion for perfection in the future as I'm already behind schedule on this asset.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah when you use estimate offset, you may see the issues with the displacement mapping shader. Before you do that, the offset map is flat gray so there isn't any real data in there, but when you've got data in the offset map it can show splits at the seams. This is just the preview though and should not affect the bake.

"For my information, are meshes exported from Marmoset always broken at islands?" Do you mean from Max? I'm not a Max expert but I don't think so. I think the Spit per vertex Normals setting may do this.