Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Retro Futuristic Station

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AndyJB polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys! So I actually started this project earlier this year but I put it aside as I got a new job and moved back to my home town so it's been a bit of a busy year but I always knew I wanted to go back to it so here I am!

The idea was originally a monorail station on the classic 'donut' space station. Out of the window you'd see the rest of the station curving upwards, sort of like Halo, but when I came back to it after the time away, I really didn't like the idea so I began to set it on a planet. For a while something about it bugged me though and I eventually figured that it was because It had no purpose to be there, no story attached to it, it was just a station on a planet. Thus came the idea of having it as a sort of rail terminal for a launch pad to send people to other planets which I think really ties in to the whole retro futurism concept.

It's very bare bones at the moment as a lot of time was spent getting the metrics and most of the pieces right (I rushed a few pieces as I realized I was spending way too long on the block out and I just wanted to start work on it).

I'm planning to incorporate some of the materials I already have (this project started as a result of putting the materials into context) but I'll probably change and update the ones I use to fit the environment more. The interior materials are going to be mostly made up of colour variations of the base material in my panel variations (mostly being white) with bare and painted metal and rubber. As for props, and the environment as a whole, I really want to keep it how people around the 30s - 50s viewed the future, at a time where there were no flat screens, LED's or any of the tech we have today. But I'm not tying myself down to that yet, it just depends how the project goes :smile:

My last job was working on Star Citizen / Squadron 42 at Foundry 42 UK so I'll be using their mid poly & POM workflow as I know it (obviously) and it's fast and gives amazing results. Having said that, I've not touched Unreal Engine 4 for a long time so I could run into a few teething problems :smiley: so for a little while I'm going to spend some time researching and brushing up on a few things.

Anyway, I've blabbed enough so here's the blockout and a quick moodboard (I have a ton more reference but these are the best picks).

Hope you like it and any feedback is welcome!

Replies

• AndyJB
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyJB polycounter lvl 9
    Quick update, I've got some materials done (at least to a base level), over time I'll most likely change them to fit the environment more. Unfortunately I've got no fancy renders of them at the moment, they're just screenshots of Marmoset but it'll give you an idea of where I'm going (I'll do proper renders of them when I'm finished with the project). I've exposed some nodes in the graphs so I can change colours, dirt levels, damage etc to speed up the process a little bit.

Next on the list is to finish my trim and decal sheets. The high poly's are modelled and baked, I just need to finish them off in Designer and set up the POM materials in Unreal, which should be pretty soon :)

As always, feedback is always welcome!
  • I14R10
    Offline / Send Message
    I14R10 null
    I've always liked retro scifi illustrations. At some point I plan on doing something like that myself. I really like your station. Will you also do the retro blinking lights as computer terminals?
  • AndyJB
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyJB polycounter lvl 9
    I14R10 said:
    I've always liked retro scifi illustrations. At some point I plan on doing something like that myself. I really like your station. Will you also do the retro blinking lights as computer terminals?
    Thanks! Maybe there'll be terminals, I haven't planned on them as I want everything in the environment to have purpose :smile: