Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creepy Laundromat

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Ditch triangle
Hey everyone!

After learning a lot from my last project I really wanted to jump into something new super quickly.  Talking with a friend I decided to strip things down and just focus on recreating an awesome concept art instead of trying to 'come up with an idea myself'.  After a little digging I found this awesome laundromat concept from Sylvian Sarrailh on artstation (link to their work at the bottom). 

My goal is to really improve overall my level building, use of master materials (and material blending), lighting and of course speed.  I've gotten through the basic block out phase and now got most of it with proxies really trying to nail down the scale and proportions of everything.  I also got a master material set up, that I hope to test out soon.  As well as some basic lighting to try to match the overall lighting in the scene.  However as always, critiques and comments are always welcomed and I look forward to continued post and progress!

OH!  As stated above, please please please check out tohad.artstation.com totally awesome and credit for the concept is 200% theirs!

Replies

• Ditch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditch triangle
    Hey everyone!

So this week I went through and made a few materials, and tested out my master material.  I'm not super experienced with master materials or using a ton of vertext blending so I had a few bumps along the way.  I'm liking some of the effects I'm getting however, and of course will continue posting and working on things.  Although after applying everything and messing with my scene, the ceiling is completely lost in shadows.  I'll try to make the light features this week along with the dryers throughout the scene.  Hopefully this will help the ceiling with some glow, and maybe some spot lights.  However, critiques and feedback are always welcomed!

As always have a great day!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toxic929 polycounter lvl 8
    This is all looking good so far! The wall is lacking the rust layer but that's probably in the works. Is that going to he a master material later or decal?

The floor is looking somewhat blurry but that might not matter as much once the water layer is added with the reflect/refract. 
  • Ditch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditch triangle
    Toxic929 said:
    This is all looking good so far! The wall is lacking the rust layer but that's probably in the works. Is that going to he a master material later or decal?

The floor is looking somewhat blurry but that might not matter as much once the water layer is added with the reflect/refract. 
    OH man, a thousand apologizes I just noticed your message.  I was going to add those rust and scuffs that are in the reference image as decals.  That way I could have stronger control, resolution flexibility while maintaining a lower vert count.  I just noticed the blur you mentioned that might be from the camera I have positioned to help me maintain the camera angle.  I'll be sure to work on that in the next couple of days, I can't imagine that it's too difficult.

This week however I worked on the two different dryer units.  I tried to make sure that I could have high enough resolution with them so I could apply some vert painting to add some slight staining to break up how modular it was becoming.  I had some slight issue with the 'glass'/ 'plastic' for the windows.  Outside of that I had to adjust some of the proportions slightly as well as the lighting wasn't as strongly contrasting as I was aiming for.

Outside of that, thank you for your time and as always feedback is always welcomed!