Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hanami - Katana

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CVee polycounter lvl 4

This katana is a part of my project Hanami. A design heavily inspired by the character's attire, which is based on the Japanese cherry blossom festival known as Hanami in combination with shrine priestesses. Critiques are appreciated! The final tri count is 9750 triangles.

Marmoset viewer on: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kaa8Lx

All the process was streamed on https://www.twitch.tv/thingychan

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really cool! I feel like since the red leaves on the sheath progressively get more dense towards the end, there shouldn't be that little empty black empty bit left at the end. It would have a cooler effect if the leaves became so dense the end of the sheath was just red. That's really my only critique. Good job!

edit: On second glance, I feel the damage to the sheath could be a bit more believable. Right now you've got a bunch of scratches which are pretty uniform.
  • CVee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CVee polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks! Yeah I definitely agree with that.
  • MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Looks wonderful.
    My only criticism would be that it is too clean. You have your scratches and some dirt on the sheath as well as some edge wear yet no dirt in the crevices. You could go for a freshly made look, but then the scratches and edge wear don't make any sense, or you could argue, that it is freshly cleaned, but then the dirt on the sheath is wrong. Also the handle looks like it has never been used, yet there are signs of combat on the sheath.
    Small stuff like dirt, dust, water smudges, or even fingerprints would add a lot to an already great piece.
    Obliviously you could go the other route and do a completely clean model.