Home General Discussion

Red Dead Redemption 2

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Over 8 years of development. R* Games first's actual next-gen title. One week after it's realease it's being critically acclaimed for it's intricate sense of details, solid game play as well as one of the most immersive open world ever created.

The Western GTA on one side and a Cowboy simulator on the other.

Of course, game is incredibly gorgeous to  look at.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d-U2QL2Qvc&t=

And looks quite fun to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i5G-He6-Z0

Anyone tested it yet?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Played briefly last night. Really strong opening. The snow shader and weather effects in the mountains are amazing. Never seen anything like it. Really realistic environments. Probably the best I've seen. Doesn't look like a typical game environment, just a real world setting. 

As with all Rockstar games, the controls feel clunky at first and there's lots of context sensitive things, but once you get into the groove of the game it all makes sense. You got to slow down a bit is all.

Voice acting and writing is pretty solid too, which is something I'm always bothered by in games. I was really impressed with the music in GTA V, and this game is just as good. When you first encounter wolves, man there is a really good number that plays. 

I like survival games a lot so I think I'll try and wring all I can from this game as it seems to have pretty strong survival mechanics.
  • VelvetElvis
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is the first time in a LONG time I blame the controls of a game for my failure to play well.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Those MegaScans are really at work in this game.  

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is the first time in a LONG time I blame the controls of a game for my failure to play well.
    That's one of my few complaints... the controls. I know the controls are pretty typical, for rockstar, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't change. Especially when it causes me to accidentally shoot things. I'm loving the game so far though.
    That and I feel like there should be some more guidance, on certain features of the game. Like when you get the legendary bear, there should be a step, to show you where the tanner is, to take the pelt to. I had to rely on friends, to tell me (one claimed he did get a guiding line, so this may be a bug)
    Unfortunately, I've been having issues finding time to play it, since I bought it.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    As soon a you get the pelt, the icon shows up on the map for the trapper. In fact, there is a dialog that tells you to take it to the trapper. Granted, it doesn't stay on for very long so it is often missed. Is there a way to bring up old dialog messages? That would be helpful.

The controls were sluggish for the first one and almost any GTA game. After a few hours playing it you get used to it and it becomes a non issue. I've punched more than one store owner, stranger, and horse before I got used to the controls.

I have a love/hate thing going on with the games lack of guidance for core gameplay. I love exploring on my own, taking to friends who had a completely different experience with a certain mission/location. I hate it because sometimes I just want to be spoon fed on how to work a gameplay mechanism.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The accidental violence is TOO HIGH!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    As soon a you get the pelt, the icon shows up on the map for the trapper. In fact, there is a dialog that tells you to take it to the trapper. Granted, it doesn't stay on for very long so it is often missed. Is there a way to bring up old dialog messages? That would be helpful.

The controls were sluggish for the first one and almost any GTA game. After a few hours playing it you get used to it and it becomes a non issue. I've punched more than one store owner, stranger, and horse before I got used to the controls.

I have a love/hate thing going on with the games lack of guidance for core gameplay. I love exploring on my own, taking to friends who had a completely different experience with a certain mission/location. I hate it because sometimes I just want to be spoon fed on how to work a gameplay mechanism.
    The dialog may have appeared. I'm guilty of missing much of what it says, because it spams info so often, I tend to start ignoring it. The marker did not show up for me (and especially, did not set as a waypoint). The marker only appeared, when I walked into the area, that my friend guided me to. Especially since they do the 'yellow' path, for mission stuff, I wish they had done the same for the trapper
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    I was literally on the verge to buy a Playstation just for RD2 ...
    I didnt :neutral:
    All I can hope for is a PC version. Do you guys think this will ever happen?
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    indeed! Art is amazing, story telling too. But the clunky controllers and the uuugh auto snap aim in mp. Is really turn offs :pensive:
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    Recently bought this game for PC. Amazing graphic quality. Does anybody know here if there is some render breakdown talk/article available like for GTA5?