Home Unreal Engine

constructive criticism

alexworx
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
alexworx polycounter lvl 5
Hi all,
I wanted to post for first project in UE4. I am looking for some constructive criticism. I think overall it looks a little flat. I was little confused on what type of lights to use inside.  I have about 4 or 5 spot lights set to static. I have hdri light outside.
 I was trying to get better contact shadows on the walls and floor. Something nice and soft. 

Thanks for the time

Alex

Replies

• SrgFlamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SrgFlamez polycounter lvl 7
    I think it may have a deeper effect if you change the colour of the lights and dim the intensity.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think you could model out those frames. I also think that the textures looks very low res.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Absolutely model the frames 
    I'd suggest  modelling more stuff in general. If it sticks out more than a centimetre- you need geometry

Some sort of interface between the floor and wall would help - skirting or whatever. 

Texture resolution isn't the big issue on the walls, it's that the scale of information in the texture is way off.  Those little surface imperfections are the size of bullet holes. 

That frame around the bed area is a bit weird. Ask yourself some questions about it 
    eg...
    - What's it for? ... it doesn't appear to hold a door/screen or contribute to the structure of the building so I can only assume it's there as a visual threshold 
    - Would it be usable in the real world? ... You'd trip over it a lot due to the height of the bottom bit.
    - How would it be constructed in the real world?  - in this case it looks like it's an 8 foot square single concrete casting which would weigh a literal tonne. To me that seems implausible 

It's good you're asking at this stage - it's important to get this stuff sorted before you start noodling with details.  My advice is always to ground everything in reality and the best way to do that is to consider how the thing would have been built if it were real. 

• alexworx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexworx polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys. Yes I am finding modeling certain things makes a difference. Def work on the textures.

Appreciate it.

• Decency
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decency polycounter lvl 10
    You also need some reflection probes and some reflectivity on your materials.  Even a material like concrete is reflective to some degree.