Home Adobe Substance

Normalised roughness maps for vfx workflow

Fredrum
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Fredrum polycounter lvl 2
Hi I'm looking into how to use this awesome paint software in a vfx style pipeline and was wondering about how I can export roughness maps that are closer to a 0-1 range than the values set inside Substance?

Reason is that the painter values will need to be somewhat changed when tweaking and re-tweaking the (eg renderman) shaders and then having 0-1 textures is much more preferrable.

Ideally the program could normalize the map at export time together with some values that let you mathematically re-map the texture into what was used in Substance. I could then script the importing of the textures to add this back in.

Does anyone know what Substance has for options for a workflow similar to this?

Cheers, F 

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can setup custom nodes for painter using substance designer - this is how all the proceedural nodes and textures in substance designer are made. You export a SBSAR file from designer and put it in the shelf in painter. 

There is already an 'auto levels' node in substance designer that basically does this. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
     You can't exactly apply a post process at export time in Painter sadly.  
    I get around this issue by using extra channels so I can still see good values in Painter while I work

Eg. 

Add a channel called normalised_roughness
    Use an anchor point to collect your roughness values from the roughness channel and pipe it into the normalised_roughness channel of a new layer, apply an auto levels filter to that channel and 
    Then remember to add the channel to your export preset.

Hope that makes sense