Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Sci fi Bedroom.

StephenW
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
StephenW polycounter lvl 2
Just looking for critique on my environment. Any feedback at all is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• alytlebird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    It's very clean, both the geometry and the texturing, but it's lacking a lot of character. I don't see a strong focal point right now; the closest you have is the orange door to the shower. I want to see what's behind that door, how that shower looks, rather than just being told by an icon "this is a shower". There's a lot of potential for detail there.

Think about how the space is used. Sheets on the bed? Pillows? Indentations of someone sleeping there? What objects does this person own? Has he just moved in (everything is tidy, suitcase just opened up) or has he been living here for years (very personalized, maybe messy space)?

Good start, would love to see more character and personal objects. :)
  • ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    Is it done or are you considering it a work in progress?

I think it has a lot of potential for sure if you're willing to keep working on it. 

I imagine it being like a ship/space station cabin for some crew member or something like that. Although, it also has a bit of a prison cell vibe to it as well.

Something that always helps me when I'm drawing or coming up with a scene is to make a little story that goes along with it. Who is it for? Why are they there? How long will they be there for?

Whatever your story is, I feel like the room would look much better if it looked more lived in. Like the last poster said, it could be messed up a bit. The bunk especially could have things like personal photos (or holo photos :) ) stuck all over the wall or the underside of the top of it. Messy bed or rolled up blankets/whatever. Books or holo-tapes, personal items, I don't see any monitors on the walls or anything, you could add those. 

The floor needs some work. Some sort of grating would break things up a bit. Along the roof there could be tubes and pipes and stuff of that nature. Theres no writing anywhere. You could even just have some sort of number and a last name or something on the door to show the room designation. There could be more button pads and stuff like that around for opening doors or scanners and stuff like that. You could have plants growing hydroponically in there somewhere, etc, etc...

Maybe these pics will help a bit

• MorbidPandaUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
    I agree with alytlebird, there aren't really any major flaws with the scene as it is, but there's not a lot that really grabs my attention either. I think adding a bit more damage and wear to the scene, and some more high poly objects (decorations, bed sheets/pillows, sci-fi weaponry/everyday objects, perhaps) would definitely help give it some more personality.
  • StephenW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenW polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Already acting on it now. I will update the thread when I've made more progress if you're interested in seeing the project develop.