Home Technical Talk

Mesh appears in different location after importing in ZBrush

vonkvass
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
vonkvass null
Hi,
I ran into a weird problem and I have no idea what is causing it. I exported my high detail arm mesh to fix its topology in Maya. Then I imported it back to ZBrush, but it appeared way above my character and grew in size. Does it have something to do with clearing history and freezing transformations in Maya? 

Arm mesh after importing compared to the rest of the character.

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    what format did you use to export from zbrush?
    what format did you use to export from maya?

maybe try to stay at one format like OBJ or FBX
  • vonkvass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonkvass null
    I'm using OBJ for both Maya and Zbrush exports.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    than maybe try it with fbx, as far as i know in fbx there are massive amounts of datas stored, if fbx works, we know that something in the obj-export-workflow is going wrong
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Try using GoZ. But other than that check that your export setting for Obj doesn't have scaling. You might be unknowingly scaling up the mesh when exporting.
  • vonkvass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonkvass null
    Okay, I tried exporting FBX from Zbrush to Maya, editing it a bit and importing back to zbrush as obj. I'm not sure if that changed anything, because I noticed that some of the meshes of my character got placed in correct place after importing and some of them didn't... Weird stuff.

I also rearranged all of my subtools in Maya and the exported them one after another. All of them, except one ended up staying in their positions in Zbrush after importing... But now my low poly character is in different place than my high poly mesh, so I will still have to move all subtools for detail projection... I can't even describe how frustrating it is.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonkvass said:
    Okay, I tried exporting FBX from Zbrush to Maya, editing it a bit and importing back to zbrush as obj....
    Try to export it from maya as FBX too, and import that FBX into zbrush under ZPlugin->"FBX ExportImport" (or whatever it is called xD )
  • vonkvass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonkvass null
    gvii said:
    Try using GoZ. But other than that check that your export setting for Obj doesn't have scaling. You might be unknowingly scaling up the mesh when exporting.
    GoZ isn't even trying to be cooperative with Maya in my case, so it's not an option. 

I'm not sure where these export settings are. Is it in ZBrush or Maya?

vonkvass said:
    Okay, I tried exporting FBX from Zbrush to Maya, editing it a bit and importing back to zbrush as obj....
    Try to export it from maya as FBX too, and import that FBX into zbrush under ZPlugin->"FBX ExportImport" (or whatever it is called xD )
    Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't see that. I just assumed that I can't import FBX to Zbrush, beecause there were no fbx files showing when I wanted to import from Tool tab. It's fine now, mesh appears in the correct place. FBX FTW