Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rat Monster Game Art

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys I was hoping to get your feedback on one of my current high poly wips for my uni game project (unity). 
I am not really a creature modeler and have been struggling to make this dude really pop. 
Any feedback would be really appreciated!   :D:D:D:D:D

Replies

• MorbidPandaUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
    I think that's looking pretty impressive so far! :)

If I was going to change it, I would try to make certain parts of the body blend into each other more smoothly. I think I would reduce the amount of fat dangling beneath the rat's chin. At the moment it looks kind of unnatural to me. I would either give the rat a more pronounced jaw, or squash his head more into the body and give him a wider double chin.

The dents on the rat's pecs look a bit strange too. I think I'd make his chest a bit fuller, and try to make it blend in with the body more.

Maybe add some spots and scars to his body (since I presume he's furless), and sharpen up the detail on his belly? I think giving him a deeper navel and making the lumps more noticeable could help there.
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @MorbidPandaUK
    Hey thanks for the crit! Definently can work on the transitions between his different body parts. The idea was to give the idea that he was fat but lost lots of weight very quickly, hence the saggy pouches. I'll try and work with those forms a bit better. Pronouncing the jaw is a good shout  lacks bones right now. 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @MorbidPandaUK
     this kinda sag looking at it does need work! 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Update to my sculpt I moved the silhouette around a lot shrinking the head and making the weighting feel a lot better. Then been making the transitions a bit smoother between the different forms. Also been trying to upscale the tertiary forms so they read nicely in game.
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool so far Lou, I like the skin and folds.
    I know its not finished yet but I think adding some more wrinkles to certain areas like the knee , and some pore detail if you really want to go that far. Maybe even a longer tail to look more rodent like as well?
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @akiratang
    Hey thanks for the response! Oh totally will wrinkle up the knee area. My first sketch had wrinkles everywhere, but came back on it due to not really having any rest areas. 
    As you can see its  a bit too much haha. 

I probably will not add a tail due to saving my animator quite a bit more work. But under stand it lacks that key elements of that rat anatomy 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Update 
    • Gave a double lip on the eyelid 
    • connected fatty droopy skin to whole neck 
    • Made legs thicker 
    • straightened leg to have a foot 
    • Added second layer of teeth and gums 

• APiotrW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APiotrW polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really cool! Some of the little bumps seem a bit off to me though

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    @Lou_ Looks better , the light polypaint really does bring it out more visually and gives him that rotten sorta look.
    Also i think the hip bone looking area might be a little bit too thin and perhaps wavy looking? I think you can definitely add some wrinkle alpha effects on his skin folds to bring him out further too, keep it up!
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @APiotrW
    Ah cheers! I will work them in a bit more then, meant to growths like moles or spots. I'll enhance with reference.

@akiratang
    Yeah polypaint is something I have been doing much more in the highpoly stages just to test colour. 
    I will get right on that hip bone I agree it looks a bit bit off. 
    I'm not too sure if I should do wrinkles now, or in substance painter. I have been putting the big winkles in now as they add to the form. In painter you get a better representation of your texture map size and see if it is really working. 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    You could do the wrinkles on a layer and then you could try both Zbrush and Substance if it aint to much of a struggle to rebake for you.
    Also the back seems to be very short right now, his lats are almost touching his pelvis, so i think you should move down the hip and make it smaller. 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @Nuclear Angel
     thats a really good shout I am readjusting the legs right now anyway in order to get better edge loops around the leg muscles for animation. So will change that up, thanks for the feedback!
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6

did some big overall shape changes making the primary shapes more oval in nature. Needs a bit of cleaning but will move on to retop after 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Lots of work done right now now into the bakes 
    Low poly is 16 k tris 

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Here is the high poly

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    texturing update  still lots to do 
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    This guy is looking pretty gross in the best possible way, @Lou_! Awesome job with the fixes and updates to the recent high poly. It's always cool to see how the model looks with some color and materials on there, and I can't wait to see how he turns out. Keep up the great work!
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @dGreenberg
     Hey thanks man hope to have some nice final shots of him soon. Been super busy with uni deadlines :O 

@lukegallowaysmith

Annoying, I would say there is no one way of doing it. It depends on the required set up of model and what sort of optimization. Animators can skin multiple objects to the same rig so no worries with separate objects. Unless there is some required stretching where you really want to show the connection. These kind of technicalities will become more understandable as you experiment.  Image result for gaping dragon
    You can see here the gaping dragon has teeth which are not connected to the main part of the mode but instead clip through the surface. 

Hope that helps.
    These sort of things are much easier to show rather than to write about, at least personal. Best thing to do is try it both ways :smile:

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6

Spooky tests in marmoset still some texture refinement to do but overall colours are conveyed. 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
     Back shot 

Will be going back and forth from substance to refine the texture
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Working on poses today. Obvs fix the texture warp after pose is chosen

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    My test thumbnail 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Guess there is only one way of testing, by putting it up against the front page 
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Lou_ Woah nice work so far! The eyes are top notch. One big thing that I believe will 'sell' the skin better is SubSurface Scattering. Right now the skin (especially the ears) could use some. Oh and the spittle would look nice with SSS. Is this rendered in marmoset?

That and wiry hair cards could really level up your model.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Fuck me this is a foul creation. Be sure to burn your hard drive when your are finished. 

I second the SSS and some whiskers. Especially coming out from inside the ears. Also a little trick somebody here showed me is to put a light ring of AO darkening around the edges of the eye. Helps it feel more seated in there.
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    @bkost
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I bumped up the SSS, it was already on but not very visible, looking a little more fleshly now. I agree that hair cards would be sweet but not for the scale of this dude in game (third person game and creature is pretty small).

@BIGTIMEMASTER
     Aha foul as the night :D:D. I did the AO ring on the eye really payed off so cheers :) 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    FINSHED ! 
    Wrapped this one up so Yay! 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRlYkG Check him out on my artstation :D 
    Thanks to everyone for their feeback 

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message