Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Stylized Cyberpunk Girl

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Gerre polycounter lvl 10
Decided to make a thread for this. I finished the highpoly based on this concept by Shen YH and I'm going to start retopo soon.

Here's a render of the final highpoly. More on ArtStation.

Some early WIP images of the sculpt.

Replies

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Could use some advice on this. I'm doing retopo and was planning on doing the hip parts of the belt as separate geo, but now I'm thinking of making it part of the body because it could be a problem area for deformations. Haven't set a hard polycount for myself, but I'm aiming for something like Overwatch.

Progress so far:

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Needs a few more tweaks, but retopo is pretty much done.

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome so far, I like how you rendered the high poly.

I think you followed the concept pretty closely and not much to crit on, maybe something off in the eyes but that's hard to tell without eyelashes and texture. 

Looking forward to how you texture her and her in engine. Nice work
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    akiratang: Thanks, I'll see if something's off about the eyes once I have some textures applied.

Here's a first pass of the blade (laser still needs texture). It'll probably get more tweaking once I get started on the character.

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    First bake attempt turned out pretty good. Still some errors that need fixing.

Bonus mixamo dance.

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Early texture WIP. Mostly basecolors.

• KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristinMays polycounter lvl 4
    Loving the colors and concept :-) I think it would look nice if you tapered the eyebrows off to more of a point at the ends, you know what I mean? Of course that is just an anesthetics thing! I do think her hairline looks a little too parted, perhaps bridge the gap a little bit more.

I'm also not sure if you're looking for anatomy critique, but I feel as though her legs could use a bit more curve, but if you're satisfied with how it is then ignore this comment 🙂 Lovely work. Can't wait to see a finished image! 
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    KristinMays: Thanks, feedback is always welcome of course. Tapering the eyebrows a bit should be an easy fix and I think you're right about the hairline being too parted. Her legs seem pretty straight in the original concept so I tried to follow that, but it couldn't hurt to try it out.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    I tweaked the eyebrows and hair parting and fixed the ID map so all materials are in their right place. Also changed lighting closer to final and got the anisotropic working on the hair. Still a lot of tweaking to be done on the textures, but I think it's getting close to the final look.
    I'm also going to rig her and make a little idle animation. I'll probably replace the current laser with an animated texture.

• LuisCherubini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    Nice process, I'm loving the texture work.
    Quick note, you'd probably benefit from more bevels on the sword structure. I've noticed some minor inconsistencies on the concept itself:

The overall character design has plenty of bevels and rounded parts, but the sword kinda breaks that pattern.
    The 3/4 art of her showcases a more dynamic / rounded sword handle compared to the side views. That makes sense, since its way more ergonomic to hold a curved surface. Comes down to artistic representation and what you can actually improve from the original author.

Cheers :smile:
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Kerub: Thanks for your feedback. I think I might have focused too much on the side view while modeling. I'll try to add a bit more bevel to the sword handle if it's not too much work. I don't want to remodel the whole thing at this point :sweat_smile:. I'll definitely keep it in mind in the future though.

Not much progress to show right now. Mostly small texture tweaks and building the rig.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Quick pose test with different light setup. Skinweights still need work.

I made the grip more rounded as well. It does look more comfortable to hold now :).

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Quick test for the animation of the blade. Could use some feedback.

• Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Still wasn't too happy with the animation of the top spike, so I changed it a bit. Here's how it looks in Marmoset.

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I like the animation of the blade, is a great idea.  Have you considered looking at sound waves?  I think that might be some good reference Thats the first thing I think of when seeing the way the blade animates. 
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    jose.fuentes: I did use soundwaves as reference. I hope it comes across that way :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks really cool! It would be really nice if It would be moving forward along the blade as well like a wave kind of pattern.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    lotet: That's a neat idea! But I'm going to call her done. I kinda want to move on to other stuff :smiley:. Here are some final renders.
    For more images and Marmoset Viewer check out ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOL1O3

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like it.  Gj with the sword.  Is that just an animating texture card or?
  • JayHoward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JayHoward polycounter lvl 3
    Nicely Done ! 
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    I like it.  Gj with the sword.  Is that just an animating texture card or?
    Thanks! Yes, it's just a plane with an animated texture. The separate frames are laid out like a sprite sheet and I animated the UV offsets of the material in Marmoset.
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Great job finishing her up, @Gerre; She came out great! The animated sword is an awesome addition!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Love it! Her overall animation is a bit stiff, could be more fluid. The model and design is awesome though, great job. 
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    dGreenberg: Thanks! I've been following the progress on your character. It's coming along great too :smiley:
    Torch: Credit for the design goes to Shen YH who made the original concept (link in first post). I didn't spend a lot of time on the animation, but tips on how to improve it are definitely appreciated.