Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Muscle Based Topology - Truely Clean VS Intersecting Loops (Opinions)

PolyCore33
node
Hi!  I'm new here.

I've been practicing topology for a while now and can confidently say they I have gotten really good at it. I spent a lot of unnecessary time on human topology for a game I have planned with muscle deformation and modularity in mind, so thought I might as well create a product that would help me towards that goal financially. So now my new goal is to do something like Daz Studio regarding licensing (pretty different though, but won't get into too much detail), but much more budget friendly for casuals and indie devs, and game focused. However, I have some questions regarding self-intersecting loops, something ears and hands usually have.

I've read about software incompatibility issues, and maybe render engines having issues with self-intersecting loops, or maybe it's just related to something like SketchFab. Can anyone shed some light on this?

What do you consider clean topology? I actually bought a $99 hand from TurboSquid before as a reference because it claimed to be clean topology, but returned it because it had a number of intersecting loops.

I know that the Daz Studio Genesis 3 Female has a lot of intersecting loops, and is hard to delete a loop on the 68K Subdivision model without creating triangle artifacts. Does anyone have issues with this model in some software?

I believe my model without a single intersecting loop to be better in most areas (most of which are finished) than Genesis 3, also the inside of the mouth is accurate unlike Daz. However, returning loops from the hands don't give me much freedom on the arms, and also had to replace a really good knuckle topology with something more basic because I can't get loops to line up on the arms.

I do intend to finish the clean topology version, but wonder if anyone would be interested in an alternative version where intersecting loops are disregarded like the Genesis 3 Female, or should I drop the clean version? I'm sure I would be able to easily create something even more superior at a lower polycount. I would like to create a great product with the best muscle deformation!

Here are some examples (feel free to give topology method advice) I will be hiding some topology I am proud of like the palms and shoulders with good deltoid curves to protect my intellectual property.

I prefer the triceps brachii tendon to be slimmer like the bellow, but cant because it would cause intersecting loops.

Hate this, but need it there

Genesis 3 has a more accurate elbow curve by ignoring intersecting loops.

My end goal was 12.5K quad (SubD = 50K x 2 = 100k triangles) but seems like it will end being 15-16K qauds for a clean mesh, but can go lower with better curves on the arms and a few other areas with intersecting loops. So need to know if people have issues with intersecting loops in some software. But DANG:/  only the arms are throwing me off.

I'm really looking forward to your opinions and advice, as I am hoping this will end up being a good product you all will all eventually use, or at least try. 
:)

Replies

• PolyCore33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyCore33 node
    Well... Nevermind I guess. Re-did the hand again for maybe the seventh time, and now both the hand and arm are more anatomically correct than the Genesis model. It also looks clean, and there are no self-intersecting loops.