Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP-Pelton Turbine Dioroma

ScriptingError
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ScriptingError polycounter lvl 5
Hey there! For one of my third year uni projects I've decided to model a small pelton turbine. Surrounding it will be some bushes, ivy, rocks and it will be protected by a little makeshift shack. I'm aiming for Far Cry 5 level of realism/detail, as it's that standard I'd love my work to reach, and is the style I adore in games. I began this project on the 8th of October and my deadline is the 11th January.

Asset list:

Turbine (the hero asset)
Foliage (1 bush type, some grass, and 1 type of ivy)
Branches
Roof (mixture of twigs and corregated iron)
Control box
Pipes
Instuction manual

Stretch goals-
Spare parts and tools lying around

Creating a Water Shader, which would show the turbine as functional and also mean that the moisture would affect the material visually in interesting ways

Creating insects or beetles, and giving them basic animations to add life and movement to the scene.

Below I've included my references and my work thus far. Any crit at all is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• ScriptingError
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reference Images:

The 3d turnaround comes from this youtube video, which shows a 'Making of' certain parts of the Turbine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVMpk2Cjyo&t=0s&index=32&list=WL 

Here are my blockouts:

• ScriptingError
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First texture pass on the turbine, though the more I look at it the more I want to redo the damage on it, I don't think it's very realistic. Also, I'm not content with the retopology, I rushed it too much and made it too low poly. As we have no tri limit for this project I need to be less economical next time. I'm going to have to find time to redo it, but it will be worth it because I want it to look amazing

• ScriptingError
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! So I failed in my goal of posting regular updates, but I haven't forgotten about this post. I'm still working on this project, though most of my time is going towards my final uni project. My main focus from now on is the foliage, as it is one of my weak points. These are the latest WIP Screenshots I have:
    Still lots of work to do, like the foliage needs to be improved alot, the mud texture is quite bad, and the scene feels empty, so i need to fill it out with some more assets, like some ivy and signs of human activity. I'll start with the foliage first and go from there. Any feedback is much appreciated!