Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artstation Challenge WIP - Feudal Japan

Replies

• blueblur22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blueblur22 polycounter lvl 5
    That's a pretty cool scene. I really like the layout.

However it's too dark. I can't really make out what's on the shelves on the left and the right (at least on my cheap office monitor). I would be curious to see this room lit with a bright, soft, orange sunset aesthetic, but even if that's not what you're going for you need to at least find a way to make the weapon wracks visible.
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Really cool looking room, I agree with blueblur, you should really brighten up the scene (or reduce contrast). I suffer from this too, using a low contrast monitor has wasted so much time on some of my projects trying to get the ideal lighting. The statues in the room are awesome and I love the insense sticks, would be cool to see some subtle smoke coming off them. I also feel like the colour pallete needs a boost, it's pretty bland. Saturating the red further and using it around the scene more could help. 

Last thing, not sure if you're using static / dynamic lighting, but it looks like you might have some bake errors underneath the dog statue in the second screenshot? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Keep this one up, awesome work so far. 
  • Forge_Carstens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forge_Carstens polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks guys, awesome feedback. Getting pretty similar suggestions from others :) Will keep this thread updated with the future wips. The light backing issue may actually be a secondary light I have to fake a few rim lights, using UE4's light linking for that. Will look into fixing or hiding it. Thanks again guys :#
  • Forge_Carstens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Forge_Carstens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the Armour:
  • Forge_Carstens
  • blueblur22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blueblur22 polycounter lvl 5
    I still say the whole scene looks too dark, particularly in the shot from the entry way. Much of the detail you have on those cabinets along the walls and their contents is lost in the darkness.

However that armor is pretty slick. The red is a good choice as it compliments the pillars next to it. It takes the scene from a well rendered dojo to feeling more like a real place that has a story to tell. Perhaps it's all that remains of a fallen or retired master/hero/warrior/villain. I like it. If it is meant to imply something along those lines (rather than a simple ornamental piece), you might play with the idea of adding some visible wear on the armor. Perhaps even a significant crack/hole to imply the wearer was wounded in a battle? Or not. It's up to you.
  • Forge_Carstens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Forge_Carstens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The_End

Full break-down at: https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan/challenges/51/submissions/33078?sorting=popular

Finally, we have run out of time. This has been one hell of a ride, thanks again to IGOR KIRDEIKA for the use of his awesome concept art,. It really helped me focus on asset creation and lighting and not think to much about what it is I wanted to do next. This was a lot of fun and I learnt a bunch. Now for the story:

My idea was to use the 3 distinct weapon types in the concept to base the 3 armours off of, finding clans that were historically skilled at each of them. We have the Otomo, users of black powder, more heavily armoured and with more of a focus on metal and technology. The Chosokabe, skilled with the bow and using lighter scaled plate and cloth. Finally the Oda, here I had an issue. Originally I was going to use the Shimazu clan as they were known for their katana use but I found their clan crest was a bit distracting so I opted for the Oda clan. The Oda were strong and a bit of an all-rounder clan with a focus on tactics so I thought they would suit the central General's position.

I tried to theme the weapon types to the 3 clans using their crests on each and matching the colours some-what, except for the katana in the background. These were taken as trophies from conquered Samurai as our heroes waged war across the islands of Japan. Lastly I liked the idea of having a table where the planning and tactics would be discussed, here again I tried to give the sense that each Samurai had their place and specializations within the group.

Anyway, that's enough story. I hope you guys have fun looking at these.