Home Adobe Substance

Normal Problems Topology Issue ?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JordanDaushvili polycounter lvl 5
So i am new here and didnt really know where to post so maybe you guys can give me some tips or corners of this forum where i can get some help.
i have some nasty normal problems and i dont know what do to. i tryed changing topo but the problem seems to remain. Anyone has an idea what is going on here ?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure you have hard edges on your UV seams around the knobs on the side of the gun. you want that flat surface to have a normal as flat as possible even bvefore generating the normal map.
  • JordanDaushvili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Make sure you have hard edges on your UV seams around the knobs on the side of the gun. you want that flat surface to have a normal as flat as possible even bvefore generating the normal map.
    Thanks for the tip i see where you're coming from with this. Makes sense. But my question is this do you think that this topo can support normal baking without any problems ? 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Jerc said:
    Thanks for the tip i see where you're coming from with this. Makes sense. But my question is this do you think that this topo can support normal baking without any problems ? 
    not unless you do what Jerc says
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I don't think that will work even if you do flatten the surface around the knob. The problem looks to be that you have some n-gons in those areas. (faces wutg more than four sides) You need to go through and triangulate those faces to prevent long thin polygons. 
  • JordanDaushvili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that will work even if you do flatten the surface around the knob. The problem looks to be that you have some n-gons in those areas. (faces wutg more than four sides) You need to go through and triangulate those faces to prevent long thin polygons. 
    Hay Daniel thanks for the reply. There is not way its an ngon issue because this mesh is being exported as fbx so naturaly every faces with more than three vertices is being triangulated. :S 
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Hay Daniel thanks for the reply. There is not way its an ngon issue because this mesh is being exported as fbx so naturaly every faces with more than three vertices is being triangulated. :S 
    I mean you have N-gons in your model that are being badly triangulated *before* you export them. Having that feature turned on in your FBX settings is probably hiding the problem. Not solving it.

I would triangulate those face in maya or max and see if you have bad topology then. 

Also the space between the safety switch and the stopper for the safety is really narrow. I'd consider getting rid of those polygons altogether.