Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[DONE] Portfolio Project - Cyborg

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ScribblingOri polycounter lvl 3
Hello beautiful people :)

My first entrance here! For my portfolio I decided to make a 3 character project in kind of a Sci Fi Cyberpunk setting. Each character belongs to a different fraction. The first fraction is the one from "The Corroded". A police / robocop kind of guy who was a human in first place but got so much into biomechanics and cybernetics that he now is 100% cyborg/ machine. I see this as a nice challenge for me, because I neither did a full male character before nor do I have a lot of expirience in hard surface. So I did a moodboard and a more or less concept to visualize what I wanted. Along the way I decided to keep his face because I liked the expression and shapes. So I did my first overpaint.

At some point I got kind of lost, so I gathered more references. My main reference for the exo skeleton was the architecture from Zaha Hadid and the structure from bones under a microscope. I wanted to create an organic but not entirely natural feeling on his body. I also had some struggle with the arms, because I wasn't really sure what I should do with them. I wanted them to have a function in order to actually be an asset to the body and not only a fancy but more or less hindering gadget.

In the end I was thinking of Boston Dynamics "Spot Mini" a dog like robot that can open doors with an extra grabbing arm and I thought, this could come along very handy.  Soo in the end I came up with this design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuA50H9uek

So in the end I came up with this design.

T-Pose:

And with some little tiny bit of posing + Facial expression:

For the shapes I mainly used the Polish and Pinch brushes and for the wires I used the XMD toolbox from Michael Dunnam.
Tell me what you think! Critique is very welcome :)

Replies

• ScribblingOri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello friends of the night,

I was really busy lately but I could manage to make some adjustments on my model. I fixed is arms a little bit and also replaced his boring motorbycicle helmet with some wired hair. The goal was to make him more badass and give him some personality.
    Let me know what you think!  :)

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    This is an interesting concept, it will be cool to see how it plays out!

So I have some thoughts on the design that can hopefully give you some ideas.

Most points you can take with a grain of salt, but if you plan on sticking with the tentacle arms I highly recommend having them be straight out, this will make retopoing and rigging much easier when you get to it.

Here is a paint over with some things I think can help, again a lot of it is up to you depending on how you want to take the design.

I hope this helps and it gives you some ideas!
  • ScribblingOri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for this great feedback! And for the sheet as well, it helps me a lot :)
  • ScribblingOri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello :) I did some adjustments on the whole character, as well as stretching out the secondary arms so they can be rigged easier later in the process. @Alemja thank you so much for your feedback, it helped a lot!

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    The simplification is helping the design out a lot! It's looking much better overall, I'm glad the feedback was able to help.
    For what you have now, I think the helmet shape can be pushed a little more, all of the layer have roughly the same thickness the visual interest could be pushed by varying how they overlay a bit. I'm also not super crazy about the pieces going to the corners of his mouth, mostly because it feels like it is rather restrictive in function. It's up to you if you want to keep it though. Here is a quick paintover:

Keep at it!
  • ScribblingOri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello fellow Artists :)

I finally finished my piece for now and wanted to show you guys the results. Basically after the High Poly, Low Poly and Texturing, I created my first Rig, had a long fight with the weight paint and created Blendshapes.
    To view the models you can also visit my portfolio at https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gJ9NWP

Here are some of the shots and the walkcycle I created. Hop you like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ixUXFWQq8M