Home Career & Education

Some quick freelance questions

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
Diving into the freelance world and was offered a job where the pay is hourly (we negotiated a reasonable price based on my experience and research I did). Job will last about 6-8 months and is through an individual. 

What are some things I should require before I start? Anything I need to know? Anything I need to have in place before I start? How do I keep track of my hours?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved from General Discussion to Career & Education. See the sticky, in particular the Freelance section of the wiki.

The section on Invoicing is prob the most relevant considering where you are in the process.

Do you have a contract? You better get one! For freelancers a contract is primarily a communication tool, not a legal one. 

Avoid repeating the numerous horror stories! Do some homework, right away.
  • jordank95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    @Eric Chadwick Thanks, I should have known to look there, my mistake. Now, this might be a stupid question, but am I sending the contract or are they? Just trying to do the most amount of research before I get this rolling.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either one of you can initiate.

A contract is first and foremost a simple way to solidify what you've both agreed to, already in your opening conversations.

It's a doc for both of you. It's not for either of you to put the screws into the other guy. It's just a good way to agree, right up front, what you both think the project is about.

Read up on it, in the bottom section of that wiki page.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Ask for detailed description of every task , there is a lot of miscommunication working remote this way you will save yourself lot of headache +
    both sides will be on the same page
    For tracking time you could use program or good old .txt file
    If you are not sure ask don't assume anything