Home Technical Talk

Normal map issue

michcioas
null
Hi.
So I have this face model divided into 3 polygroups in Zbrush, so the lips don't project on top of each other when baking normal map in SP. Until now everything is fine but I want to pose the face in Zrbush and in order to do that I need model to be homogeneous. So I welded all the points on polygroup bordeds maintaining the UVmap but when I take this model back to SP and apply the normal map it creates those really visible seams. I've read few topics that touch on similar subject but they refer to a single object while I have 3 separated ones and they are on single UVmap. I tried applying smooth modifier on top of 3 of them i 3ds max, applying smoothing group to each one but still when I put a normal map on welded model seams are like in the image.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think you may be using the wrong normal map format in your substance painter project. Try project settings > normal map format and choose the opposite of whatever you got right now. 

This is just for display inside painter. When you export, you can convert to whatever formats you need. I usually export both a directX and openGL, that way where ever you take your textures you've got both options available.

Here's what the different programs want: