Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] ZELDA Twilight Princess - Link's House - Environment

triangle
Offline / Send Message
penguinburger1 triangle
Hi Polycount, this is my first post!

I decided to share my WIP so I can start getting critiques and comments early.

I'm remaking the environment of Link's house in Zelda: Twilight Princess. I want to stay true to the feeling, and give it the love and attention I think it deserves.

This is a portfolio piece to help me get a job as an environment artist, focusing on game environment art.
I'm using Unreal for the final product.

I'm focusing on the tree and closely surrounding elements. I still have yet to put leaves/branches on the main tree and add some scattered foliage on and around the tree.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(My deserted ArtStation)

Original Scene

Thanks!

Replies

• blueblur22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blueblur22 polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the main tree texture work and the front door. A few things
    • I would accentuate the log frame on the top window and make the logs a bit bigger like the original
    • The ground texture is really distracting. The original ground texture is varied and expressive (grass is thin or missing where people walk a lot by the entrance, etc.) which gives it a very natural and lived in feel as if it were a real place.
    • I know you said you were working on more foliage, but I just wanted to suggest some moss on and around the tree body. You could do it with texture work or modeling. Also feel free to deviate a bit from the source and add some extra rocks/foliage if it makes sense. Take a look at some IRL or quality fan art references too (example below).
    • Consider using free/stock assets (trees/rocks/foliage) to just quickly block out the area around your scene. Once you get everything just right, replace things one by one as needed with your own assets.
    Overall it's looking really good. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really cool. Be sure to paint a lot of moss on the tree!
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Thanks so much guys!

@blueblur22 great detailed feedback, I really appreciate that! I'll be keeping those things in mind as I work on greenifying the tree. After that, I'll work on the surrounding details (ground texture variation, rocks, foliage, etc.)

Thank you both so much for taking the time to comment!
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Posting an update, will be adding more ground foliage, continuing to vertex paint the ground, and adding background foliage (and branches to the trees...)

• penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Getting some foliage down, I need to finish the pines still, make a background plant layer (when the trees are finished) and add some mountains/hills.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sensing a clash of styles here. The house looks somewhat stylized, specially the roof tiles, whereas the foliage on the ground looks realistic. They're both done well, but I feel it's clashing. I would also think you should add a few branches on the main tree, for the leaf cards to attach to. Right now the leaf cards seem to be just sticking out of the giant branches.
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    The style is somewhat mixed. If you look at a Pixar film, their environments are as realistic as they can get them, but their shapes and forms are exaggerated. That's the style I'm going for. But if the tiles are sticking out to you, I'll have another look at them, thanks for the feedback
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Working on lighting, though I think I'm nearing finished!
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Maybe a little less saturation
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Here's the original from the same angle
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking great! Definitely an improvement on the original. Check out the draw over I did below.

The center of the image (circled in yellow) looks a little washed out. I'd play around with the lighting, because right now it detracts from how good the focal point of the image looks.

The grass (red) could use improvement. Right now it looks too much like grass cards. It would be good if you added an extra card or two to the mesh to get rid of this shape. I also think the grass is spread out too evenly around the scene. I'd either clump it in areas and have other areas without this grass, or if your scene allows it, increase the amount of grass.

Lastly, I feel you could add a bit more geo to the leaf cards on the tree in the middle, as right now the straight lines (blue) keep catching my eye.

I think I liked it before when the colours were a bit more saturated, looked more Zelda'esque.

Those critiques aside, its looking great. Keep it up!

• rel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rel polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking lovely, you're being very true to the original proportions and set dressing and your texturing is gorgeous. I agree with above however, your awesome focal point is getting a little blown out, and we can't see the gorgeous color variation you have going on there anymore now that it's desaturated. I say let the house stand out a little more, right now the trees nearest us are most in focus and are getting the most contrast which draws the eye more. The house is the special part, let it have the most contrast and color to draw the eye. 

Side note, the stone(?) surrounding the door is getting a little blown out in your lighting making it appear flat shaded. I'd revisit that so its detail isn't getting lost, the sculpt you have above is awesome and we're losing that great texture. 

Beautiful work! I want to go there and lay in the sun. 
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Thank you so much @rel and @Ashervisalis , I really appreciate the time you've spent to offer critique and support!

I agree with you guys about the focal point being blown out. I think there's too much volumetric fog and it's adding to it getting less clear.

The grass is another thing that was on my to do list, it's very bare right now. I didn't want to add too much because I wanted to show where people walk but I think if 1) I add some more grass cards to the mesh to make small clusters, it won't appear so flat, and 2) if I just made the grass much smaller in the walking areas, that'll be much more interesting to look at, making it more full.

I noticed that annoying tree branch card and turned it so it's not noticeable, because that's the only spot you notice it. But if I notice it in any other shots after rotating it, then I'll adjust the geo for sure...

I added the scarecrow prop to my ArtStation with several shots, so check that out! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xqoXY

Again, thank you so much guys, means a lot.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem. That pumpkin scarecrow guy looks super cool.
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Alright, finally done!! Your input was super helpful! Thank you!

https://www.artstation.com/penguinburger1

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man, beautiful work!!
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Damn, nice work! 
  • Sourav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sourav polycounter lvl 6
    love it, good job.
  • manuelfuentes13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manuelfuentes13 polycounter lvl 6
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Looking great!
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Now THIS is a good example of taking feedback to heart. You nailed it!
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I am in love with this. Nice work!
  • penguinburger1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penguinburger1 triangle
    Oh wow, I forgot to check this page after being finished! I really appreciate your comments! :)