Home General Discussion

Turn based games suggestions..

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I haven't played games in a long time so I am wondering if anyone here can suggest some good turn based rpgs preferably can play offline (no online gaming) for android or Pc.
Also has anyone tried BlueStacks? Is it safe to use? I have been reading up on it and seeing stuff like malware and downloading apps a requirement?

I have to say there are really awesome games for android out there but most of them require internet connection to game ( getting work done is important to me so staying offline works) :- ) . Why aren't the devs also making a PC version of these games? or android is easier to develop for.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Battletech is a good, new, turn-based game if you like the franchise. Disgaea 5 is coming to PC soon as well.

Bluestacks is fine, though I personally prefer using Nox.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've read good things about Ambition of the Slimes, which is on Steam and Android.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Divinity Original Sin 2, although your work is likely to suffer for the time you will have spent playing it.

Be sure to overshoot the system requirements if you can. There's a certain fight in the middle of the game with preposterous amounts of overdraw.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I will check them out. I have heard of Divinity Original sin 2. I definitely won't be getting it bc of how good it is. I will get when I can allow more time : - )
    @PyrZern Using Nox, have u encountered any issues? I have been reading of these android emulators containing software that uses one's system for bitcoin mining without their consent.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I haven't noticed anything bad from Nox.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Thanks mate :- )
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    PyrZern said:
    Battletech is a good, new, turn-based game if you like the franchise. Disgaea 5 is coming to PC soon as well.

Bluestacks is fine, though I personally prefer using Nox.
    The last one I played was BattleTech. That was fun :) I think they just added a new update or expansion on that game, too.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Jaged Alliance 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Invisible Inc, Transistor, The Banner Saga, Battle Chasers
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Civilization 6, XCOM 2 (and other versions)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warmachine Tatics is a lot of fun, it's kind of like XCOM and Final Fantasy Tactics. If you aren't familiar with Warmachine, it's table top game a bit like Warhammer 40k on steroids. Less units to micro manage but the warjacks are bigger, beefer and the combat is much more visceral. Tactics does a pretty good job of bringing the table top version to life. The demo is free, the single player campaign is fun.

http://warmachinetactics.com/

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Civ 6 is a time vampire like no other IMO. Great game but man you can play that thing for hours on end. I've always enjoyed the Shadowrun games on PC. They also have a pretty good story too, very nice for a nice 30 minute play session at the end of the night or something. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Bard's Tale IV.

Braveheart meets Magic the Gathering, where alcoholism and literal singing of songs power magic.

https://youtu.be/opXscHH2taw
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are great. Thanks guys. I am checking all of them out.

Why can't we have turn based games with close up cinematic shots like God of war for example. U take turns, pick a move and a close up cinematic animation executes the move. U gain more moves, more cinematic action. Kinda like the camera cuts FFX used to have. I still wish Square Enix executed this turn based gameplay mechanics:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI
    with the camera cuts and angles 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @melviso
    As God of War has stated multiple times, the challenge of making a cinematic camera work well in a real time environment requires a surfeit of technical wearwithal and time that some studios do not have.

Good gameplay first.  Everything else comes secondary.

Square Enix is one of the rare companies that has talent AND money.  They definitely refined the style in FFXV from the looks of it.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    mel did you play FFXIII? That game had some of the worst pacing I've ever seen for that exact reason. You would pick your moves and execute your turn only to have a long very well done cinematic playout. This was great in the beginning of the game when all the moves were new and there were a plethora of characters to learn and utilize, but it breaks down when you have to watch that 50 more times each couple of battles.

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi 
    The cinematic camera in GOW during combat played a huge role in the immersion and made every hit and move feel effective. I remembered an animator mentioned one of the things underestimated in animations is the camera. How it can be used to hide and compliment, emphasize and exaggerate moves and skills.  I get some studios may not have the time and money.

FFXV was bad imho. I watched some playthrough of it on youtube then watched the ending. I feel it was very repetitive. Nothing was memorable about it. If others enjoyed it, that's cool. I feel there is nothing wrong with a game being linear. The game tried to be like red dead redemption or metal gear open world game. FFX was the last Square Enix game I enjoyed. FFX-2 was cool too.
    @zachagreg
    FFXIII had a lot of flaws especially with plot and gameplay. The characters didn't have skills unique to them and how useful those unique skills are in the games's story and in battles. The only difference they had were their weapon of choice and they only got new animations when they used more attack slots as commando. Every other move for skills they executed were the same animations. If every character had unique skills like Lighting could only use Fire, Vanille could poison, afflict bad status, e.t.c and if you needed those things u had to switch in these characters. The story would maybe make more sense if they were branded by different Falcie so they have different abilities.

That's why FFX was great for me at least :- ) The way to keep old moves animation fresh in battles later in the game is to make the camera angle and cuts random when they are used. Also more skills gained later in the game should replace the old ones as they are more powerful and are necessary to defeat more difficult bosses but most games are designed with the same old moves animations having more damage as the game progresses which is fine by the way.

If there were camera cuts and angles like the first gameplay trailer they released that are random even when making the same move animations, will help keep the gameplay fresh.
  • alexsir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexsir triangle
    Age pf Wonders 3. I love this game.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Total War series for PC, I was heavily into turn based strategy games back in the day and Rome 1 when released in 2004 was for me the absolute bomb, now the franchise has evolved across multiple titles since. 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @sacboi would you classify Total War as turn based? I always thought if it as a kind of hybrid RTS
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Either/or I guess, but still IMO a great experience strategy wise.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Shadowrun  Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong  get a +1 from me. They're indie games, but they put a lot of love in these. Legend of Grimrock is fun. If you like dungeon crawlers like this, boot up Dosbox and get some classics like Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder.
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    civ 4, still the best one in the series.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Heroes of might and magic ! I used to play this alot!
    I was at heroes of might and magic the shadow of death, but newer versions have come out!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is fantastic if you're looking for something in the detailed-but-not-overly-obtuse rougelike arena. It also has Android builds.

Skulking the zombie apocalypse is a lot more fun when you have mutations and bionics in your arsenal, it's got a great vehicle system as well!