Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MG 42 weapon

RodrIbArt
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
RodrIbArt polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys my name is Rodrigo i am studying 3D.
I would like share with you my next model, i have working in a mg42
Theese are my references:

Replies

• RodrIbArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theese images are from the model of hipoly

Any feedback is welcome!!
  • RodrIbArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I understand if it's purely an artistic choice that you feel looks cool, but the fabric wrappings don't make practical sense from a realistic standpoint. The one on the barrel will melt or catch fire, the one on the pistol grip will make keeping a firm grip more difficult (firing a machine gun is all about keeping control over it). The wrapping on the buttstock, again, will make control of the weapon while firing more problematic. The curve on the underside of the buttstock is for the left hand to pull the weapon firmly into the shoulder, so a lose material isn't going to help with that. 

Notice left hand. But this guy isn't a real machine gunner, because real machine gunners got to have big manly hands that wrap all the way around the buttstock, in order to tame the beast and keep long burst under control. 
    Image result for machine gun firing position

Let me just reiterate, this is pure opinion here, but if you want to give the weapon a little something something but  want it to be purely realistic, you might look into how armies mark weapons for organizational purpose. I don't know what the German army was doing back then, but if you look at picture of modern US weapons you'll see that different units have a standard way of stenciling numbers onto weapons. Sometimes a band of color will signify which company the weapon belongs to, and so on.