Home Technical Talk

Need help with creating Cyberpunk scene for film

Hinur
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hinur null
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this so sorry in advance if it is not but I started a small film project set in a cyberpunk city. I'm new to C4D and OctaneRender and have been trying to find tutorials for this sort of thing and while what I have achieved looks alright, it looks too stylised and fake and I don't really know why. Here is an example of that I have made:

and this is the type of stuff i'm trying to get:

I was wondering if anyone could point me to any sort of tutorials on how to get this sort of look, any help would be really appreciated.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Something that all your references is doing that you're not, is using lighting to separate the buildings, especially that first one (grazdgfx). See how the street level lights give shape and volume with very few tonal values? Real nice use of positive and negative space. Secondly, the color grading is what really sells the style for these. Look up terms like Lifted or Crushed for blacks and colors. Thirdly, there's the haze and slight blurring, but that's more of a final touch once the first two are in a good spot.

Sorry I don't know any good lighting or color grading tutorials to point you to. I would suggest taking a critical look at these images and more and spend some time with your own light and color. Take your renders into Photoshop and start playing around there, postwork is important to these styles.

I'm not sure your composition is helping you much. I can't argue for or against cyberpunk buildings all sitting at different angles, but I think having them all skewed and scattered makes it look more like a forest than a city. As it is now, I see the skyline, but it's hard to pick out forms because of the current tones and shapes because of the dense and relatively narrow packing.
  • Hinur
    Offline / Send Message
    Hinur null
    Thanks for you suggestions, I've tried again while trying to implement some of your ideas into my work and this is what I've come up with: